Folks afraid of conversation?

Jesusfreak

On numerous occasions now I have had people wanting items I offer through Pm’s on here. When I respond I give them my cell number to make it easier to do the transaction. After that I never hear from them again?? Are we afraid to communicate ?? I would think if I was going to give someone 200-500 dollars I want the contact information.

On numerous occasions now I have had people wanting items I offer through Pm’s on here. When I respond I give them my cell number to make it easier to do the transaction. After that I never hear from them again?? Are we afraid to communicate ?? I would think if I was going to give someone 200-500 dollars I want the contact information.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of giving out my phone number. I have several other ways of communication that are... more secure so to speak. I like PM's, and I can always come back to them.

Some just want to paypal and have you ship the item. I know I've had people send me a phone number i call them then they want to talk about everything under the racing sun for an hour on a $50 item. Not saying thats you but those people do exist and I'm too nice to end it abruptly

I’m the same way with helmet sales...

there’s way more assistance i can provide with a 3-5 minutes convo than texting/messaging back & forth 1,000 times.... that’s why i list my cell phone # on all my posts....biz the ole fashioned way.... it’s called customer service... and some ppl still value & appreciate it

We continue to find folks who will only do business online - ie online shopping cart. This is partially due to the use of cell phones while at work (able to text or access the internet, but not talk on their phones while on the job.)
But I think you are right, Todd, some people (especially our younger generation) do not have normal social skills needed to order something over the phone. I mean, you can order a Subway sub through an App. now!
I know we are losing sales every day due to not having an online shopping cart, but we like to make sure we're getting the customer what they "need" as opposed to what they may "want." (Engine tech, tire rules, explaining our tire preps, etc.)
Talking with the customer, we can learn better where they are racing, what they are racing, etc. to better meet their needs.
This generally prevents a lot of returns, hurt feelings, and much longer discussions down the road.
Our business is more labor/service oriented, so it doesn't lend itself real well to online shopping carts; but I can see where selling defined hard goods online would simplify things.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Jesus Freak,

I tried calling and tried to leave a message about a resurfacing machine with no response. No proper email set up and your email was full so I couldn't leave a message. I then sent a text message and never received a response. You did reply to me on here though.... I would much rather talk to someone on the phone but when that doesn't work I try whatever avenue I can to contact them..

I’m the same way with helmet sales...

there’s way more assistance i can provide with a 3-5 minutes convo than texting/messaging back & forth 1,000 times.... that’s why i list my cell phone # on all my posts....biz the ole fashioned way.... it’s called customer service... and some ppl still value & appreciate it
You are correct, phone conversation is a facet of customer service, and some people do still value that and appreciate it. You also have to remember that the business landscape is constantly changing and those who don't adapt will be left behind. Not saying anything is wrong with your approach and to each his own, but don't disvalue what others perceive, appreciate, and value as customer service (texting/messaging/online ordering) because in the end all you are hurting is your bottom line.

Jesus Freak,

I tried calling and tried to leave a message about a resurfacing machine with no response. No proper email set up and your email was full so I couldn't leave a message. I then sent a text message and never received a response. You did reply to me on here though.... I would much rather talk to someone on the phone but when that doesn't work I try whatever avenue I can to contact them..
If you tried leaving a voicemail and couldn’t then you had the wrong number. 402-690-4876. I havent had any inquiries that I haven’t responded to. My apologies

When I know exactly what I want/need, I prefer to just order online, quick and easy. But if I'm not sure then I'd prefer to call or show up in person and have a 5-10 minute conversation, rather than message or email over the coarse of a day or two. So I definitely appreciate when a place has a good online ordering system, and they pick up the phone any time I call.

I have done business with Webber Fabrication and Carlson Motorsports. You just can’t beat a good old fashioned phone call. These folks offer more than just a product, they have knowledge and will give you advice on the items that you want to buy. Customer service couldn’t be better with either of them. Go ahead and pick up the phone, you’ll be glad you did.

Carlson Motorsports gets almost all my business. I’m a rookie and need all the help I can get and their willingness to speak with me, giving me suggestions and helping me understand what I need and why. Also, there have been a few items I needed that they didn’t have on hand but they always would find it for me. Hard to beat their customer service!

Back