Food for thought.

One more. The needle on the adjustment screw extends to the area where the emulsion tube was cut off. Fuel from the pump is forced directly into that area and metered by the screw.

Attachments

• 9831E7BE-8DAA-4E5F-9200-6E9044C95719.jpeg
    9831E7BE-8DAA-4E5F-9200-6E9044C95719.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I used to build billet aluminum carbs with an .875" bore, pumper fed with separately adjustable high\Low circuits... Used a walbro pulse fuel pump easily hidden and a set of pump stacks off a tillotson with a billet needle plate to set pop off before feeding the jet well...

The bore of the carb was step bored and had a billet atomizer which slip fit into the stepped bore bottoming out on the shoulder and aligning an annular groove which fed 8 small holes drilled in 60° increments radially through the press for sleeve intersecting the groove.

These carbs used the extra lower hole on later flatties below the normal carbs lower hole... If you grit blasted the billet carb and dirtied it up some it was almost indistinguishable from an actual stock casting but it ran was away better even if somewhat finicky to really get dialed in sometimes...

I never did really finish the R&D process to get everything really dialed in as far as sizing of the idle & low side circuits, or the billet atomizers which seemed really tricky to get right for a specific engine... Make the annular holes a couple thou too big and it was marinating the crankcase in your fuel of choice... But if it was right on size with the annular holes it made power mid to top spectacularly well; doubly so if your weren't over choosy with running what most would consider a "legal fuel blend".. Lol.

I never really sold any amount of these, maybe 8-10 as they were technically just an experiment I never intended too put on the market.... I just took a liking to stock appearing at one point and got over zealous which is my nature..lol.

I still have a few of these in the shop... Might drag em out and tinker some after the new year.

Found a stash of the aluminum rods I machined in the box...

There's some Ti rods and some billet tillotsonesque carbs somewhere in one of the old raptor plastic crates in the upstairs storage in the shop.... not really sure what all I kept.lol.

Attachments

• 20210105_004655.jpg
    20210105_004655.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 33
Nice work There .
Thank ye sir!

Combination of ADHD combined with OCD and a sleep disorder that limits me to very little sleep. Lol.

Built a lot more stuff than that but I never really took many pictures back then, the wife did but all that was at the track and she wasn't so much component oriented as she was toward the "big picture". Lol.

well ok…. Carb got me intrigued… how many of those you got floating around?
Honestly.... not sure. At least 2 completely finished one atomizer and one standard pumper setup, and probably 15 or so in various stages of completion and some intended to be built differently for R&D.

I never really sold any of the crazy stuff I machined... it was the building of the components that really intrigued me more than the actual racing... but its been over 20 years since most if this stuff was put into storage and here's the skinny on that...

I haven't really looked at any of this stuff since the year the BZ1 block came out... I think that was late 1998 or early 1999... that was the last year I actively built and ran open modified mostly due to the birth of my daughter...

I did run 2 races in the year 2000 but it was in a borrowed kart with a stock flat head engine I built for the guy who loaned me the kart... the year after I quit the talking heads got together and started talking BS about how I couldn't really drive that I just won races because I machined parts others didn't have in their open modifieds.... the consensus was that had I ran any of the stock classes I'd have never won a race...

So when the next "money race" came along in stock medium I borrowed a buddies speedster chassis with one of my 100% legal stock class engines and took the 4 wheels and tires he said I'd need and threw everything into the back of an S-10 and rolled into the pits...

Won the first heat, second heat, and the main taking the money.... of course the engine was protested and they took it into the tech shed for the teardown and I told em no sir... if they want to tear it down pull a table out into the pits and let everyone watch, and they acquiesced to my request and the tech guy "BJ" tore it down in plain view of anyone wanting to watch and I even told everyone what cam it was along with answering some other questions... all said and done 100% tear down and it was deemed 100% legal... I chucked everything in a box and headed home with the money.

Sure enough a week or two goes by and the talking heads are still flapping their lips... this time it was "yeah... that was stock medium... good thing he wasn't in stock lite or he'd have got half tracked if not lapped out their with us".... so what too do?

I waited for the next money race which was... you guessed it stock light... now I was a might thick so I was right at 16 pounds over minimum which was either 305 or 315 I forget... with me walking naked at I think 220 at the time we stripped everything possible but still came up heavy... I came in second from starting last in the first heat, One of Bama Johnson's boys took the first heat race... I wasn't really any threat to pass him but I was a solid #2... second heat race Bama's driver chucked a rod so I won that one, and then won the main taking the money with my chain jumping the back sprocket constantly.... we got a little carried away with the lightening program and one of my friends pulled the stop collar off the axle which allowed it too flex and the chain would jump and get between the chain stays and the sprocket in the turns then jump back on in the straight... lol

They didn't bother protesting me that time so I figured my point was made and honor defended sufficiently and loaded up and headed home...

I haven't sat a kart since that day, and all my custom machined stuff went into boxes in the shop attic along with the two best open modifieds I ever built... my daughter just graduated college with her degree in aerospace engineering so now time and funding are available again and I've been dragging out all the old stuff and the reminiscence if it all is probably going to have me building some OHV stuff after first of the year and seeing whether or not I'm too old too throw the tiller on the red clay anymore...

Suppose they'd let me run purple plate?

BTW... this isn't me tooting my horn or bragging about what an awesome driver I was... this was a small local track and insignificant in the big picture of kart racing... I'm 100% positive on one of the more serious tracks and in any stock class I'd have had my arse handed too me easily by most of the field... in open modified I ran some of the faster more serious tracks and won some and lost some, but generally speaking I was at worst competitive in the race or I grenaded an open motor trying something or other that ended up in hindsight being pretty stupid... lol.

I built and machined a lot of stuff that worked great, but I built a lot more that was a flat out complete and total disaster.... that's what kept my interest... ADHD is a funny thing. Lol.

I'd be a buyer on one of those custom flathead rods via PayPal
You mean the aluminum or titanium?

I don't even think I have one that's completely finished... I'm pretty sure they all need finish honed on the big and small ends... don't think I have anymore bolts either, Those were custom ordered through a mom & pop aerospace hardware supplier who is no longer in business I believe.

The titanium rods I haven't dug out of the attic yet.... but although they appeared to be unbreakable in what I was doing then they aren't overly ductile and hence they can be rough on the piston, crankshaft, and block for that matter... they transmit alot more of the shock than the aluminum rods.

The aluminum rods sort of act as a shock absorber on a miniscule scale.... this is the reason the big inch nitrous drag racers use aluminum rods, they absorb a fair amount of the shock and without it the bottom end can take a beating.

I've also been building race engines for cars around 30+ years... kept doing that after I raced karts for the reason I made profit off of that side venture... lol.

Back