forced induction

nickboc333

Hey, I am kind of new to karting and i was wondering if you could make a forced-induction intake without a smog pump. I had an idea of having an intake tube with a fan on the inside that you could turn from outside of the tube and then connecting this outside part to the axle with a chain or belt. So the fan would turn forcing air into the carb. I am probably not going to try this but I was wondering if it would work.:confused: Thanks :D

it could be done but I think it would have to go to the crank... if you run it off the axle it only turns when your axle turns...

Hey, I am kind of new to karting and i was wondering if you could make a forced-induction intake without a smog pump. I had an idea of having an intake tube with a fan on the inside that you could turn from outside of the tube and then connecting this outside part to the axle with a chain or belt. So the fan would turn forcing air into the carb. I am probably not going to try this but I was wondering if it would work.:confused: Thanks :D

All day long, friend! I know guy who does stuff like that. Hooked up a two-stroke toro leaf blower to a CAI on a gx390. That thing breathed gas and forced air and puked out ANGRY ANGRY power. You can do it mechanically too, but the spoolers are expensive.

Google, Hansen Supercharger. This was a purpose buitl supercharger built for the Briggs model 13 engine (Flathead). They had a natiorn road racing class for something like two or three years. Just never got off the ground. Karts ran ok, but nothing spectacular. Wer as fast or faster with a naturally aspirated SuperStock and Limited. Bigger class 2 cycles were WAY faster.

Hi Nick and welcome, I see you like to think about stuff and how it works, so do I !

Forced air to enhance power is going to need a power source. The power is either coming from the engine which no matter, even if the end result is increased power, will rob hp from the engine to operate. If you don't want to rob hp from the engine your going to need another power source. Most likely a battery or another engine to run the forced air. It would be legal racing UAS (Unlimited Allstar) karts. Here is the general area you'll find UAS on here:

http://karting.4cycle.com/forumdisplay.php?45-UAS-Outlaw

Mark Bergfelt, the godfather of the UAS put a leaf blower on his kart to do exactly what your thinking. For years I have had the idea of using a model airplane engine and prop to do the same. Your other option is to carry a battery on the kart to operate the forced air. The UAS karts use a variety of engines and using another engine to power the forced air is already included in their rules.

So the answer is sure you can do it. One of the main things which makes UAS class racing attractive to many racers is they are set up to include the personel excitement of innovation, not exclude it. The UAS is the only class of karting and maybe racing in general, which is set up to include as many as possible, instead of limiting things to very restrictive rules.

But, if you use a small turbo it is not robbing power from the engine it is using spent energy from the exhaust!

The power losses from a mechanically driven supercharger and a turbocharger are essentially identical, they just come from different portions of the thermodynamic cycle. The sources of the power losses due to spining a turbocharger are just less obvious; they come from back pressure and fluid friction losses as well as the mechanical load of compressing gasses. In thermodynamics and the generation of horsepower, as in most things in life, there is definitely no such thing as a free lunch. What there is these days (primarily due to modern diesel engines and the huge hot rod aftermarket that has developed around them, combined with the turbocharged gas engines in many automobiles) is a tremendous choice in available OEM and aftermarket turberchargers in all sizes and configurations - a tinkerer's paradise.

Hey, Paul, there is a propulsion system used for model jet airplanes called a ducted fan. Your plane looks like a jet, but has a regular gas model plane engine in it that uses a multi-bladed turbine type fan that blows out the tube to the back of the aircraft. The CFM these little beasts can move is quite phenomenal. And with the fact that gasmodel airplane engines tend to spit out a high proportion of unburned fuel in the exhaust, you could run the ducted fan on a 10% to 20% nitro blend over the counter model airplane fuel and get the added advantage of a bit of nitro without risking your kart engine fuel not passing fuel tech....

Care to explain more on the turbo?
I have 2 identical cars one turbo one n/a...
If I turn the boost off it produces the same horse power on the dyno as the n/a car...
Fluid losses? It is only pushing a small amount of oil to the bearing in the turbo, and there is very little back pressure through the turbo.
Actually between a full exhaust for a street car, and a free flow exhaust in the turbo car, there is more back pressure in the street car than the turbo car...
On a supercharger it takes power to make power, on a turbo it uses the heat energy wasted by the exhaust to spin the turbo.

Of course it only uses heat energy that would be lost out the exhaust, but there are fluid flow losses on both sides (gasses or any other fluids flowing through pipes consume energy just to keep them moving; the flow losses in a turbo system have very little to do with the oiling system for the centerbearing(s)), and the energy consumed by the compressor side is big fluid flow energy consumer. The the turbocharger does enjoy an adiabatic efficiency advantage at equal volumes and pressures that can exceed 15% because the compressor turbines are generally more efficient than the methods used by superchargers and hence they heat up the incoming charge less, but turberchargers are often run at higher boost pressures and hence require an intercooler, a further fluid flow loss, but one that is offset by the denser incoming air harge it creates. My point is simply that the energy required to raise a given volume of air a specified psi over ambient doesn't change much regardless of how you do it. The only thing that changes is where the energy comes from and the sources of the losses introduced. And if a street exhaust system is making significantly more backpressure than a turbocharged system, either there is something wrong with the street system or the method of pressure measurement needs to be seriously re-examined in both systems.

Much easier and a lot less cash to just replace it with a bigger engine. for some strange reason , it seems to me that small engines respond a lot more to nitro methane than forced induction, BTW, forced induction works better with the whole carb. enclosed inside a pressurized box, or mounted out front of the air compressor.

Last edited:
Of course it only uses heat energy that would be lost out the exhaust,

No, it doesn't. Turbine drive pressure is typically much higher than ambient and in fact much higher than the boost pressure itself in "street" setups. 2.0-2.5 times boost pressure is not uncommon, which means that pressure is reducing the pistons' upward movement during the exhaust stroke.

Much easier and a lot less cash to just replace it with a bigger engine. for some strange reason , it seems to me that small engines respond a lot more to nitro methane than forced induction, BTW, forced induction works better with the whole carb. enclosed inside a pressurized box, or mounted out front of the air compressor.

It's easier to blow one up on nitro, though.

I just looked at the good Doctors website and it does look like he's a scamer free loader dreg on society.

thanks for pointing the **** bag begger out

:) and... just for the good of it. All his effort and all reference to him is gone from here. ... :)

I hope I did good for a change. But ... either way it is what I did and I'm glad I did what I did. ... :)

thank you Mr Shelby

Back