Foreign matter in 33a's

barluc99

So after cutting a new set of tires this week I found a white hard substance protrude from the tire between the dot and the outside lines. When I removed it there is a void left in the tire. Is this just material that didn't process during the molding procedure. I know others that have purchased cut tires who have had the same thing exposed.

I have never seen this in Burris tires and I have cut alot of them in the past few years, new and used both. Sounds like you could be right about it being some sort of mold release

Yea, probably some mold release clumped up. I've seen it as well. Leaves a divot/void after you cut deep enough to expose it. I've also seen what appears to be air pockets as I've cut, moreso on the 2017s than ever in the past. Likely won't hurt anything performance-wise, but is a little disappointing when you've got a great finish and decide to make one more pass only to create a void.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
28 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

I just encountered the same thing in a left front tire. To me it looks like a piece of oil dry that is encased in the tire. The hard white object doesn't seem to be an issue that will hurt performance, but in the same set of tires, this time in a right side, I found what looks to be a white latex vein. The substance is soft and pliable but not well blended with the rest of the rubber and appears to be a couple of inches wide but goes into the carcass of the tire so I cannot tell how long it will be. Has any one else encountered this white substance? Should this tire be discarded?

Not seen anything a couple of inches wide...more like the oil dry that you described -- small pebbles as though the mix wasn't blended well enough before molding. A fellow I know suggested that it could be some mold release that got in the tire.

Bigger issue I've been seeing is an occasional stray cord show up at a diagonal at as much as .060" tread depth. It is common at .020"; seems to be getting more common at .040"; but now I'm seeing an occasional strand at .060." Doesn't seem to hurt performance, but had a few customers that weren't real happy to get their new tires and have a cord showing already.

I have seen the "pop-up" chord many times but this is like they had a latex glove get into the mold when they made the tire. It is hard to tell how far into the tire the material go's. I worry that the spot on the tire will blister or come apart if we run the tire.

Natural rubber is actually white in color. Carbon black is added to give tires their color.

Could be a section that never got mixed well enough at the beginning of a run.

I have seen the "pop-up" chord many times but this is like they had a latex glove get into the mold when they made the tire. It is hard to tell how far into the tire the material go's. I worry that the spot on the tire will blister or come apart if we run the tire.

Tires start life as a series of wraps done by hand, then put into a rubber blatter hot mold for shaping.
Could be part of a workers glove, could also be part of the sheeting the material is laid on before wrapping

Back