forged legal rod

biblaker

So with this forged rod becoming legal..... has anyone tested it? Obviously a forged piece is typically stronger than cast, but is also more dense meaning a possible gain in weight. Any thoughts?

I would think that a cast rod would have more density gradients based upon the potential for cooler spots in the mold.

i wished it was changed to a billet rod just for assurance. its heavier so no power gain but everyone keeps talking about keeping it cheap but yet theres 800-1000 buck motors being sold. if the forged rod is gonna be stronger, then id rather switch to it

If your paying $800 to a $1,000 for an engine would you not want to spend an extra $50 to greatly reduce the chances of a broken rod?

If your paying $800 to a $1,000 for an engine would you not want to spend an extra $50 to greatly reduce the chances of a broken rod?

oh yea without a doubt. some if the tracks i race at allow it. so now i have 2 motors, one with stock rod and other with billet

billet rod has no performance advantage to it. some will argue that it does, but in all reality, a rod doesn't. long rods provide a way to increase power, but they don't produce anything. it's a safety factor and an endurance enhancer only. take a look at some of the pictures that have been posted on engines that had a stock rod give up. my home track allows them...had some engines go south on us and all most all of them have been caused by a stock rod letting go at 8K plus rpm....

Those stocker engines must be amazing.....running 8K RPM and above.
Those stock valve springs must really be the best thing ever manufactured in China.

The only one that may OFFER a true forged rod would be Burris racing. The one advertized is NOT a forged rod.

(;-) TP

Billet and "forged"(if there is such a thing) will be heavier and rev slower but be more reliable.
We've adopted a legal billet rod option at our track, provided you still pass tech on stroke and cc's.

There is a stock forged. It is a vacuum forged casting and they ARE JUNK. From what Ive seen. Fact most of the ones Ive seen were hanging out the side the block.

Back