Frame Table

Are you referencing the front hoop not touching but the rest is from where the waist bends are and back? Or do you think the chassis is bowed in the center? The first scenario I wouldn't worry about as I'm with Flattop, I don't know if the bottom of the front hoop was actually flush with the bottom of the rest, but even so if the whole kart touches except for that part I'm with Keith, I would just run it and not fret. Even if the chassis is bowed slightly, there's no way to tell if/how much its really hurting things if it scales out correctly, especially at junior 1/2 weight.

Just my two cents.

Are you referencing the front hoop not touching but the rest is from where the waist bends are and back? Or do you think the chassis is bowed in the center? The first scenario I wouldn't worry about as I'm with Flattop, I don't know if the bottom of the front hoop was actually flush with the bottom of the rest, but even so if the whole kart touches except for that part I'm with Keith, I would just run it and not fret. Even if the chassis is bowed slightly, there's no way to tell if/how much its really hurting things if it scales out correctly, especially at junior 1/2 weight.

Just my two cents.
That's why I'm asking questions. The first where all is flush but the front hoop is up like 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. I have no idea if the front hoop is supposed to be flush or not either. It scales fine with washers basically split in the middle on both sides. After talking to enough of you all, it sounds like even if it is bowed slightly, it isn't an issue to worry about if it scales correctly. Just trying to be thorough so maybe we can finish on the lead lap with your drivers at the BMS races this year :oops:

That's why I'm asking questions. The first where all is flush but the front hoop is up like 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. I have no idea if the front hoop is supposed to be flush or not either. It scales fine with washers basically split in the middle on both sides. After talking to enough of you all, it sounds like even if it is bowed slightly, it isn't an issue to worry about if it scales correctly. Just trying to be thorough so maybe we can finish on the lead lap with your drivers at the BMS races this year :oops:
If it's scaling out good with washers still pretty even, run it !!

Take 4 deep sockets from same set, put one under each back rail near bumper and under middle/waist area rails right before the rails bend up. I do it on a pool table, good concrete and double checked with a level can prolly be done. It shouldn't rock any.

Long 4 foot level from left rear frame rail under waist/middle rail to middle front hoop next to front belly pan mount. It shouldn't rock, ideally there is a little gap at the middle waist bar. For age of phenom, they will prolly have some sag by now, unless it has minimal races on it.

That said...if it scales right, and reacts to adjustments when you make them, its likely fine. Usually when karts are unresponsive to changes(big) or cross adjustment maxed and still not reaching ideal numbers, thats when they are bent/flexed out. Inconsistent handling from lap to lap could also be a sign, but hard to diagnose for a jr.

JMO

Take 4 deep sockets from same set, put one under each back rail near bumper and under middle/waist area rails right before the rails bend up. I do it on a pool table, good concrete and double checked with a level can prolly be done. It shouldn't rock any.

Long 4 foot level from left rear frame rail under waist/middle rail to middle front hoop next to front belly pan mount. It shouldn't rock, ideally there is a little gap at the middle waist bar. For age of phenom, they will prolly have some sag by now, unless it has minimal races on it.

That said...if it scales right, and reacts to adjustments when you make them, its likely fine. Usually when karts are unresponsive to changes(big) or cross adjustment maxed and still not reaching ideal numbers, thats when they are bent/flexed out. Inconsistent handling from lap to lap could also be a sign, but hard to diagnose for a jr.

JMO
I finally stripped down the 2nd Phenom that we got at the end of last summer. Both were basically identical, with a little sag that you are describing, but extremely minimal. Very happy with how they looked, so they went off to the powder coat shop on Monday. As you said, trying to diagnose stuff from a young Jr 1 driver is a big hard at times, but I feel good about how they measured and scale out. Getting new bearing and heims all around, a few other new parts and a new tire program. I think we will be quite a bit better this year. I really appreciate everyone's help.

I'd also be replacing caster blocks, spindles and axle if you can swing it. PMI has everything you need, the Xpect spindles work awesome on the Phenoms. Make sure that little tie rod under the seat is able to twist a tad.

Back