Fresh rebuild break-in

Just drive it around the track but don't let it rev out. Change the oil first couple of track sessions.

Well good... Then I like that method then, you confused me for a minute there
The first 2 oil changes the oil will have a bit of a shimmer to it.

I put a lot of effort into plateau-honing my bores correctly, and then cleaning out the debris with ATF on the bore and then a hot wash in soapy water.

But the rings still need to abrade in. I follow the break-in procedure from the motoman website.

1) Warm for 5 mins
3 x 1/2 throttle dyno pulls
Shut down 10 mins

2) Warm for 1 minute
3 x 3/4 throttle dyno pulls
Shutdown for 10 mins

3)Warm for 1 minute
3 x full throttle dyno pulls
Shutdown for 10 mins

4) Warm for 1 minute
20 x full throttle dyno pulls

Then change the mineral oil as all of the above will take about 25-30 minutes running. The oil will come out grey and with a shimmer to it. The general theory is you are trying to break in the rings and bore without getting the engine too hot & distorted.......i have been doing it for several years now and 1% blowby is not uncommon on my motors

Thank fellas. I did a leak down and got 3%. So if I do either of the suggestions, it should (knock on wood) drop to about 1% after the break-in. Wish me luck.
3% is good. I don't think you'll get any better unless you have Total Seal rings

The first 2 oil changes the oil will have a bit of a shimmer to it.

I put a lot of effort into plateau-honing my bores correctly, and then cleaning out the debris with ATF on the bore and then a hot wash in soapy water.

But the rings still need to abrade in. I follow the break-in procedure from the motoman website.

1) Warm for 5 mins
3 x 1/2 throttle dyno pulls
Shut down 10 mins

2) Warm for 1 minute
3 x 3/4 throttle dyno pulls
Shutdown for 10 mins

3)Warm for 1 minute
3 x full throttle dyno pulls
Shutdown for 10 mins

4) Warm for 1 minute
20 x full throttle dyno pulls

Then change the mineral oil as all of the above will take about 25-30 minutes running. The oil will come out grey and with a shimmer to it. The general theory is you are trying to break in the rings and bore without getting the engine too hot & distorted.......i have been doing it for several years now and 1% blowby is not uncommon on my motors
Just pull the rope and pin it.

Back