Friction

flattop1

Dawg 89
Friction is a misunderstood term.
Coefficient of friction --huh ?
Example . I finally got a string up around the tree branch .
Fish line first . Up over the branch through some twigs . Tie a piston pin with a conical cone in front . Pull it up over the branch . There is not enough weight to pull the string around the limb . With either the added fricton of the fish line and or the string contacting the bark .
Trust me a arrow with string attached caught in twigs can create an extreme amount of friction .

Additionally there is the coefficient static break away friction then the coefficient of dynamic friction while sliding. The dynamic friction can and often does change over time as the friction rubbing will change the surface topology which in turn changes the coefficient of friction.................and on and on..........not that simple.....a lot going on there! I believe i heard that some of F1 teams have friction engineers...friction reduction .very important in racing!
You can spent a life time studying what's going on at the interface of pistons, rings to cylinder walls.

It was not as easy as portrayed in old westerns to get that rope over the limb for an impromptu hanging?
Surely Hollywood could not have misled us?

LMAO
As far as fishing line goes, are we talking about pan fish fishing, or dragging catfish off the bottom of river channel?

Finally over came the friction issue .
Fish pole with a cork and 3/4 oz sinker . 2 trys over the limb down to the ground . Try hitting a tennis ball with a string taped too it over a limb 43 feet in the air . The ball is not heavy enough to pull the string back down.
Tie rope too string then 3/8 cable too rope . Work it all over the limb .
Shackle it up so as too cinch tight , take out slack fire up the truck .
Bam limbs on the ground . Sorry bout your plant Dear .

My neighbor, who worked for a phone company before he retired, accumulated some interesting tools for eliminating tree limbs as they became surplus on his job. We can get to 25-26 feet with little effort, but 43 feet is out of reach without resorting to the same system you used. :)

We have used a variant on that system - a heavy fish sinker (usually 1oz., sometimes more) and a Whamo hunting slingshot left over from decades ago, in my younger days, to get the fish line over the limb. And that isn't a stocker - the standard rubber portion from Whamo was replaced with surgical rubber tubing, adding considerably more horsepower to the already pretty fierce slingshot. It's all just a corollary to the old engineering adage: "Never force anything - get a bigger hammer."

I can't handle my 50 foot extension ladder by myself anymore .
Much less lean it on a big old dead oak limb .
Gotta buy another slingshot .

Back