Front end ??

I have a few ? And I would like the simplified version of how it work and what the adjustments do either way
1. Caster angles
2. Shims in the yoke that raises and lowers spindle.

Caster, Positive stablelises rearward thrust from forward motion , Look at the front caster wheels on a shoping cart, or look at the rake on a bicyle.
Adj - For LTO , If the RF has more POS+ castor than the LF the kart will pull left, Reason is because the more caster angle on the right can resist the rearward force,The force is trying to push the Rf back,But due to the king pin angle liening back pressing the tire in to the ground. This is called caster split, A offset kart can pull left with even castor, say +10&10
The less caster the more turning power, The less jacking efect, Driver strenth, input, feel, track condition are some of factors when FINE tuneng with castor.

Shims, washers, tires, any thing that efects the hight of one spindle will change its weight and the other three, LTO the RF/LR is refered to as cross or wedge.
a taller LR RF or a smaller LF RR tire , more shims under LF more over RF would = more cross.

Thats as simple as it gets and were simple stops. Donn

Last edited:
To simplify what he said a little more, you can move washers/shims around on the spindle to raise or lower the cross weight percentage in the chassis. Moving the washers from top to bottom on the left front will raise cross, moving them from bottom to top will lower cross. Same thing applys to the right front spindle, except in reverse. Moving washers from bottom to top will raise cross, or move them from top to bottom to lower cross. Raising or lowering a spindle affects how much weight is on that corner of the chassis, and how fast or slow it transfers that weight when you turn through the corners. As far as caster angles, that is better left to someone else to explain a little better, that is not something i know much about. A good source of information on how the components in the front end work and what they do, or what change affect what on the chassis, is Todd Godwins book, Dynamics of Speed. If you look on his website, there are articles you can read to learn so much more on this stuff if you cant afford to get the book.

Here is a link to the articles, use your spare time to read these articles, you can learn alot more about the chassis this way.

http://www.dynamicsofspeed.com/articles.htm

Another good sourch of information is the NoGoats Setup Sheets, which has a bunch of pages showing changes you can make to fix on track problems and alot more great info for beginners. This is valuable information.

Here is the 13 pages of No Goats setup sheets. Print them out and put them in a binder or in your trailer for quick reference when you are having problems at the track.

http://nogoats.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/chassis-tuning.pdf

There are some good books you can read. I'll bet Comet kart sales has all of them.
It's not a simple subject, trust me. The explanation, even in its simplest form, takes a small book to write it down.

Back