Front track width and alignment

GDR

Stalker kart...

We have the RR 1/4” off hanger and LR is off hanger 3/4”
My question is; how should the RF alignment be in reference to the RR and the same for LF to LR alignment.

I see a lot of posts that say, just shove the front hubs in as far as possible, but I want a little bit more insight because if I get the LF in too far, it will rub the front bumper with just a little steering input to the right and with it being my 7 yr old on it, I don’t know that I want a tire rub to be the limiting factor on how far the kart turns.

Also, Is front hub spacing used as a tuning adjustment or just set and leave it?
Thanks

What type chassis . LTO or sprint ?
Answers are dependent on chassis type . Though tire rubs need to be avoided .

Left turn only .
The right I would not be concerned with them being even . The left i would try too keep them even . Your getting info for current chassis and blending with old chassis . There are difference's between setups . Move the left out where it doesn't rub adjust the rear to be even .

Lto karts are primarily designed with the rf inset from the rr.
The left front/front track width is part of the geometry designed into the chassis.

I would look at the tie rod geometry first.
With the rf tire pointed straight ahead, referenced to the rr tire, make sure the angle between points formed by the centers of the steering shaft, inner tie rod end and outer tie rod end is a right angle. Then adjust toe from the lf tie rod.
If the geometry is off, the lf tire will be able to rub on the bumper.

Last edited:
Unless something is bent, moving the LF out on the spindle should make it rub the nerf bar more, not less. Moving the LF hub in makes that tire travel less distance. Sounds like you could have the wrong nerf bar, or wrong size tire on the LF.
You should have a 4.50 or 5.00 width tire on the LF, mounted on a 6 or 6 1/2" wide wheel with the typical 2 1/2" wheel offset. Now, if the steering arm is bent (out) on the LF spindle, then you aren't able to move the LF in as it should be -- that might present a problem.
Also check your steering geometry (as 95 shaw pointed out above.) The pitman arm should be straight up and down with the front tires toed straight/parallel to the rears.
I prefer both fronts in as narrow as they can be. RR all but rubbing the frame, and the LR sets your tracking width. Typically, with a 42" body, it'll be flush with the left side nerf bar.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Pretty good advice, I would only add that there is a relationship between the front end and the backend. If you narrow or widen the front, it affects the rear, if you narrow or widen the rear, it affects the front.

As a general rule; if you're loose, widen the front or narrow the rear, if your tight, widen the rear or narrow the front. This could be titled "handling 101"

He said front bumper , really you shouldn't be turning right all that much .
Tire size is a factor , no doubt .
If it's needs too be out more then an inch I would be concerned .
Do as 95 shaw said , align the rights parallel then get the other components in the correct locations. .

He said front bumper , really you shouldn't be turning right all that much .
Tire size is a factor , no doubt .
If it's needs too be out more then an inch I would be concerned .
Do as 95 shaw said , align the rights parallel then get the other components in the correct locations. .
Assumed he meant the front of the nerf bar -- how in the world can you hit the front bumper with a tire? Now that's some steering input!
I'm still missing something here.

Assumed he meant the front of the nerf bar -- how in the world can you hit the front bumper with a tire? Now that's some steering input!
I'm still missing something here.
Agreed with the bumper thing.
Our left front on the Phenoms rub the nerf bar when cranked to the left.

Back