Fuel filter routing

Colt sr

So i have seen guys have a fuel fiter before it hits the pump... Then i have seen between the pump and carb... Is there any advantage to where you put the filter??? Can you run 2 filters one to the pump then one to the carb??? I am intrigued on which way to go with my jr animal...

I'm not too worried about the pump . It's an expendable anyway .
The carb I want clean as possible .

Just thinking that one end is the pull end of the pump the other is the push end... Would it make it run too lean???

Gas or methanol ? The rubber drying up is the most likely failure .
I'm going to say no . Fuel supply drawing through the filter could be a small concern .
Mr . Carlson should chime in on the am .

Just a heads up if you are running Briggs 206 class. Here's an excerpt from the 2020 Briggs 206 rules:

"A fuel filter is not required but highly recommended to insure that dirt and contamination within your fuel system does not impact engine performance.
The fuel filter itself is not a tech item but only one fuel filter is legal for use and it can only be located between the fuel tank and fuel pump inlet (not between the pump outlet and carburetor)."

We are running methanol... I just dont know if pump would hold up with so much restriction of the fuel... I was thinking super clean fuel... Maybe i am over thinking this

We are running methanol... I just dont know if pump would hold up with so much restriction of the fuel... I was thinking super clean fuel... Maybe i am over thinking this

Unless the race fuel grade methanol available in your area is orders of magnitude dirtier than what is commonly sold here in south central PA, I wouldn't say you are over thinking it, but you are over worrying it. One filter, before or after the pump is fine, and mine never picked up much of anything. I preferred to have the filter on the discharge side of the pump (over worried its effect on fuel system pressure drop, lol), but put it wherever the rules require. I've run it both ways on a kart and never had a problem. Ran box stock Briggs flatheads on methanol for years with no filter, since the system didn't have one; just threw whatever filter paper I had, often just a hunk of coffee maker filter, into the filler funnel when we filled the tank.

I've always run my fuel filter between the tank and the pump. Been doing so for the past 12 years. I've never had a problem with fuel delivery. Stock motors to big billet opens.

We run two one between pump and carb and one between tank and pump. I think it started out as a mistake but since it didn't seem to hurt anything I now do it on purpose. There was a builder that is not around any more that claimed a filter between the pump and carb gave an increase in power on his dyno. Never believed it.

The reason that the 206 rules changed is because of liability.
Placing a cheap plastic press-together fuel filter inline right next to the exhaust was becoming a problem.
Couple that with some of the import filters NOT being made gas permeable, caused them to fall apart after just a few weekends of use.
FWIW, most kart shops sell the cheaper fuel filter that is NOT compatible with gas. Unfortunately, some retailers may not even know any better. The distributor/importer offers filters for each fuel. Be sure to request the correct one for your application. Since we generally recommend purging your animal engine with gas/purge fuel at the end of each race day, you will need the filter that is designed to work with gas. What's an extra $Buck when you're talking about safety?

We've run the filter in both locations (before and after) the pump, and have found no difference whatsoever in performance.
It is a bit harder on the pump to draw fuel through the distance we are asking it through a filter inline. These pumps are more efficient at pushing the fuel than pulling it.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back