fuel filters

I've notice a lot of engine builders don't use a fuel filter between pump and carb, and have seen them in line before the pump is running a fuel filter just a preference or is it highly recommended, didn't know if possibly it restricted fuel flow , what's your advice.

Preference . The 90* filters work good before the carb .
Then again if its clean before the pump thats going to be clean at carb .
Save for any time its disconnected then its open too forgien material .

Most pulse pumps are not very good at pulling fuel from long distances (floorpan) or uphill. Putting more restriction in the line just makes things worse. These pumps are designed for pushing fuel.
With that said, the Briggs L206 rules prohibit using a filter between the pump and the carb (safety/liability reasons.)
My preference would be to place the fuel filter right before the carb, but keep in mind that most of the fuel filters we are using in karting are pressed together plastic jobbies made in China. They DO occasionally come apart and if placed after the pump can have fuel spraying right on your hot exhaust.
We generally mount them down low in front of the engine in-line between the tank and the pump.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Most pulse pumps are not very good at pulling fuel from long distances (floorpan) or uphill. Putting more restriction in the line just makes things worse. These pumps are designed for pushing fuel.
With that said, the Briggs L206 rules prohibit using a filter between the pump and the carb (safety/liability reasons.)
My preference would be to place the fuel filter right before the carb, but keep in mind that most of the fuel filters we are using in karting are pressed together plastic jobbies made in China. They DO occasionally come apart and if placed after the pump can have fuel spraying right on your hot exhaust.
We generally mount them down low in front of the engine in-line between the tank and the pump.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Thanks thats exactly how I just did all 3 of my karts

Also keep an eye out for the extra filters and the larger ones... some fellas have been known to fill them up with syringes of NitroMethane and propylene Oxide just before qualifying... ;) It only lasts for a lap or two but thats all ya need.

Also keep an eye out for the extra filters and the larger ones... some fellas have been known to fill them up with syringes of NitroMethane and propylene Oxide just before qualifying... ;) It only lasts for a lap or two but thats all ya need.
I have noticed that racers use a different air filter ( looks more like foam) for qualifying but change the filter so it looks more like a standard one for the feature races. Is this why ?

I have noticed that racers use a different air filter ( looks more like foam) for qualifying but change the filter so it looks more like a standard one for the feature races. Is this why ?
Foam can be soaked in all kinds of flammable, vaporus type chemicals that would evaporate after 2-3 laps ;)

Back