fuel line priming

mtbikerbob

This may seem like a dumb question, but what is the preferred way to prime the gas line? I have always blown into the vent line with the fuel line off the carb and into a gas can. It works, but honestly, there has to be a better way. If I had a compressor that would work, but I don't at the track. Please share.

I just put a quality fuel shut off valve close to the carb then at end of raceday shut off valve run gas out of motor. If the shutoff is sealed well fuel should remain all the way to the tank . Then it's only a few pulls to fill carb bowl.

I have a large syringe I got at the farm and ranch store. Think it was for horses. I fill the carb with fuel before starting motor. Workes most of the time. Sometimes I Will give the fuel pump a shot with the syringe. Once I pulled the fuel line to the carb off with the motor running, blew gas everywhere ,but kept prime after that.

Thats about it . A little pump off a colman lantern adapted to a fuel cap .
Mity vac will pump or draw .
Small hand pump for soccer ball with the funnel shaped adapter .
Air compressor or or tanks too much pressure .
I tried to blow through one last night , through the cap needed 10" rise couldn't get it my cap vent may have been too small .
Ketcup bottle half full of fuel , (bad idea ) leaky and fire hazard . I did have an extingusher near by .
Short section of fuel hose on cap vent keeps ya from bending way down and lips clean .

Boat primer pump
Never really considered that idea and in looking around I found a syphon pump at Tractor Supply. This particular one has aluminum fittings on the bulb and includes fuel line that is the same as what I use on the kart. It works great to either push or draw fuel. No more oily gas lips!

Pull the air cleaner, cover the venture with your hand and cycle the engine through a few strokes. You'll be surprised how quickly the fuel will go from the tank to the carburetor.

From my bag of tried and proven solutions. (Al Nunley)

Pull the air cleaner, cover the venture with your hand and cycle the engine through a few strokes. You'll be surprised how quickly the fuel will go from the tank to the carburetor.

From my bag of tried and proven solutions. (Al Nunley)
In my R/C days we would cover the muffler to pressurize the tank quicker. Watched a few guys do that at my last race to help get them fired up. Looked like it worked ok. I wouldnt recommend this if its already hot.

Back