Garage floor paint

KKania17

Looking to do my floor, from what I found on google I want a 1 part epoxy? Any recommendations, pros cons, does and don’ts? Only a 1 car, 12’x23’. Thanks in advance!

Only thing i know its super slick when wet .

Doesn't have to be. There is an additive (play sand basically) that can be added to keep it grippy.
There's a company that sets up at PRI every year that does some beautiful floors. Ucoatit.com (I think.) Talk about coveting...Man, those floors look nice. They have a do it yourself product, but hat's a 2 part epoxy though if I recall.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson

I've used the Rust-O-Leum 2 part epoxy with color flakes from Lowe's / Home Deopt before, to good effect. Whomever did my current slab put a crappy sealer on that turns to goo with gasoline (yeah, great idea for a shop floor!) and I'm contemplating how to strip and fix that. If you are starting with bare concrete, you may have to etch it to get whatever it is enough tooth to hold well and not flake. If it's an aged floor, you're probably ok, imo.

I've used the Rust-O-Leum 2 part epoxy with color flakes from Lowe's / Home Deopt before, to good effect. Whomever did my current slab put a crappy sealer on that turns to goo with gasoline (yeah, great idea for a shop floor!) and I'm contemplating how to strip and fix that. If you are starting with bare concrete, you may have to etch it to get whatever it is enough tooth to hold well and not flake. If it's an aged floor, you're probably ok, imo.

They probably put polyurethane down, Ted. Makes for a good waterproof sealer (wood floors, decks, gymnasiums - garage floors not so much.) There is stripper available for it - it'll soften and peel right up when applied. The next problem will be neutralizing the stripper chemical that will get down in the concrete. Good luck on that.

I’ve used the Rust-O-Leum kits on two garage floors with decent results. I will say, scrub and clean the floors a few times for decent results. The second time I used muratic (sp ?) acid to clean and it made a major difference.
Also, I’m not a fan of the flakes so I used the grit / sand mixture to insure the floors don’t get slick when wet. Regular cleaning of the garage and it still looks great.
Maybe one day I’ll get the high end epoxy floors for a new shop 😂

Doesn't have to be. There is an additive (play sand basically) that can be added to keep it grippy.
There's a company that sets up at PRI every year that does some beautiful floors. Ucoatit.com (I think.) Talk about coveting...Man, those floors look nice. They have a do it yourself product, but hat's a 2 part epoxy though if I recall.

Thanks,
Brian Carlson
I have experienced both, adding grip and not adding grip. If you don't add grip (as in a garage where there's a lot of oils and lubricants involved) it gets very slippery. If you add grip, as we did in my workspace, it's very very difficult to sweep up and clean. In my case, being a CNC programmer and operator, it really made it difficult to clean up at the end of the day. Forget about using a mop!!
I dated a woman whose job was selling floor coverings in Silicon Valley. She was very successful at it. But she was doing floor coverings in clean rooms, no oils, no lubricants. Even at that, in the walking areas, in the workspaces, they used grit.

Was at Home Depot today and had the rustoleum kit in my hand and a Spanish guy told me to put it back it’s not worth the money he said his lifted after only a year following all the instructions? A friend of mine said he had good luck with the $30/gal Behr concrete 1 part epoxy? I’m with Al, looking for something I can sweep up and maybe even mop 🤷‍♂️ I plan on having mats down for high traffic walking areas but the main part of the floor id like no staining and easy cleanup 👍

Kyle -- I've heard of that happening when there's hydrostatic pressure in the pad... IIRC, RustOLeum even has you tape down a square of plastic and see what happens after 24 hours or something like that.... Epoxy seems like a good solution too.

Back