Gas ignition timing question

Thomas1971

Hey everyone, I have my briggs Raptor set to 30* advance with a 94ss cam. And my other Raptor at 33* advance with a 107ss cam. I was wondering if that's right for gas? Saw someone say 30* is a lot for gas on another post with a 94ss. Is the recommended timing for methanol on the cam sheets?

The recommended timing is somewhat arbitrary of fuel used, and based on the cam grind for the build (my guess where you are getting your recommendations from.)

Gas doesn't need as much timing since it has a higher flash point than alcohol, BUT, compression has more to do with determining proper ignition timing in my opinion. Sure, carb set-up, exhaust, intake flow, etc, all factor in with timing advance, but with the very low compression of our flathead engines, they are not real finicky on fuel (gas or alcohol.) Just make sure that you jet your carb correctly for the fuel that you are running, and don't get carried away with too much timing advance, or you'll run into an overheating problem. For short blasts, you can get away with considerably more timing (detonation & knock.) For longer runs, you will want to avoid hammering on that piston too early (ie too much advance.)

I think you'll be just fine with 30 & 33* with those two cams, respectively, but the rest of your build will have to work with that set-up.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
31 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

The recommended timing is somewhat arbitrary of fuel used, and based on the cam grind for the build (my guess where you are getting your recommendations from.)

Gas doesn't need as much timing since it has a higher flash point than alcohol, BUT, compression has more to do with determining proper ignition timing in my opinion. Sure, carb set-up, exhaust, intake flow, etc, all factor in with timing advance, but with the very low compression of our flathead engines, they are not real finicky on fuel (gas or alcohol.) Just make sure that you jet your carb correctly for the fuel that you are running, and don't get carried away with too much timing advance, or you'll run into an overheating problem. For short blasts, you can get away with considerably more timing (detonation & knock.) For longer runs, you will want to avoid hammering on that piston too early (ie too much advance.)

I think you'll be just fine with 30 & 33* with those two cams, respectively, but the rest of your build will have to work with that set-up.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
Thanks for the advice

Gas doesn't need as much timing since it has a higher flash point than alcohol, BUT, compression has more to do with determining proper ignition timing in my opinion.
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
I think you meant lower flash point, faster flame travel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back