GAS purple plate flathead timing and spring seat pressure.

Lost my notes on a purple plate flat head. 96-3om cam. Running on gas. Looking for spring seat pressure and ignition timing.
Thanks

Go back to page 35 in the flathead section then start reading forward .
I found this . Dosent specifically say gas .

" think I've shared some set-up for jr 1 with you before - here ya go.

IN 18.5# Ex 17-18#. 29.5-30.5 Ign. timing. Lash .005 & .005.

Put as much fuel to it as it will take 59-61 jet, tape up the blower housing completely. Hot plug (ND 16 or equivalent), .880 X 20" pipe with muffler. Turn 5400 on momentum ovals, no more than 5900 on tracks that put the engine in a bind (scrub >800 rpm.)

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines "

Yeah. I know that won’t work with the purple gas. Found the carb and has a 37 jet in it. I remember when we ran it the jet needle was Very touchy. Like within a turn you couldn’t start it lean or flood out rich. Trying to help out someone starting out 6yr old and grandfather in that class.
Thanks, Tim

Brian will have an answer .
Then theres this .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-122509_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-122509_Chrome.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 20
Will the gas take the timing?
I run a 3hp daily on gas and yes it will take the timing. Might not be the best. I have ran all the way up to a 70 thou key I didn't care for it but there is a rpm range for it. Out of my range I think. As far as the needle being "touchy"? Well imo that's the best part. I wish I had 10 more jets to tune.

Also 1 turn of the needle with gas is... well I can't find the words. But fractions of a turn is night and day. Literally. Also dry or humid. Cold or hot ect.

The info I posted previously / above is spot on for everything but jet.
If it's a current WKA bp'd carb, you will want something between a .038" - .040" jet on gas (depending on the rest of your tune, elevation, throttle shaft offset, carb venturi diameter, short stem, etc.)
Start with the jet you've got and keep the needle around 1 1/14 - 1 1/2 turns out.
Gas is very sensitive to needle position, unlike alcohol.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back