gathering parts for honda 196

foreverfaster

Site Supporter
I have stock 195 genuine honda, what crank from flat head should i look for in the Jyards.
what head should i look for??
how is the best way to identify these parts without taking 20 motors apart???
new to the salvage thing..
in the end i will have someone punch out the block and i will buy a rod and piston to match..
any help would be great.

Thanks

Not too much good stuff in the junkyards for a gx200 but if u come across a gx160/5.5 hp honda its usually worth grabbing for some parts. Some have a flat top piston and an 18cc. Some have a dish piston and a 14cc head... A good combo for the budget guy is the 14cc head and a flat top piston..

I have stock 195 genuine honda, what crank from flat head should i look for in the Jyards.
what head should i look for??
how is the best way to identify these parts without taking 20 motors apart???
new to the salvage thing..
in the end i will have someone punch out the block and i will buy a rod and piston to match..
any help would be great.

Thanks
I don't think there is anything on the flathead you want. What kind of engine are you building. There is usually a reason a Honda is in the junk yard. If you are not exceeding 6500 a GX160 flywheel gives you 5* of ignition advance, the 14cc heads give up flow for higher compression, first clue on the lower side of head behind tin look for ZLO

sorry :( silly me... I got my head wrapped around an animal motor, was thinking about using a flat head crank in it, as I have some salvage yard flat heads and an animal that needs a rebuild.. confused it with the Honda, I'm working on.... I have TOOOO many projects going on at once. i'll have to check the flat head tab...

so on the Honda, if its a ZLO it will likely be a 14cc head. thanks
isn't flow more important that compression... I can always cut the head to get more compression.. Maybe I should stick with what I have.

Actually, a flathead crank could be used in the Honda block. You would need to find a bearing that fits the flywheel side of the flathead crank, that will also fit in the block, and you will need to do the same for the side cover bearing as well. You would also need a custom gear to go on the crank and figure out where it needs placed for cam timing to be right, and you will need a flathead rod, and a piston that uses the .490 wrist pin, an animal pvl flywheel and pvl coil or the flathead billet flywheel and flathead coil could work but the PVL setup is much better. Stick a flathead crank in a Honda block and look at how well it lines up....the crank journal is right where it needs to be already if you will notice. It is alot of work, but it can be done. I have an open predator that I am building with this crank now, I just need to figure out rod length and everything else to make it work right then I can give more details on exactly what is needed. The flathead crank is I think 2.437 stroke, almost .300 more stroke than the stock Honda crank.....think about that for an open build ;)

I can't stop laughing,.with a big grin on my face... reminds me of shoving a big block 454 in a chevette. lots of work but worth every moment when it's done... we use to take the cranks out of Toyota 22R motor and stick it in the 2.3 ford motor,.. again things just kinda line up and with a little work here and there you get more stroke and the Toyota crank was better..
I guess i'll have to put this one on the list of winter projects.. I found 2 more Honda motors in the salvage yard that turn over just fine..

Actually, a flathead crank could be used in the Honda block. You would need to find a bearing that fits the flywheel side of the flathead crank, that will also fit in the block, and you will need to do the same for the side cover bearing as well. You would also need a custom gear to go on the crank and figure out where it needs placed for cam timing to be right, and you will need a flathead rod, and a piston that uses the .490 wrist pin, an animal pvl flywheel and pvl coil or the flathead billet flywheel and flathead coil could work but the PVL setup is much better. Stick a flathead crank in a Honda block and look at how well it lines up....the crank journal is right where it needs to be already if you will notice. It is alot of work, but it can be done. I have an open predator that I am building with this crank now, I just need to figure out rod length and everything else to make it work right then I can give more details on exactly what is needed. The flathead crank is I think 2.437 stroke, almost .300 more stroke than the stock Honda crank.....think about that for an open build ;)

Ill be able to tell exactly what is needed once I get everything figured out myself, it is just a side project for me, with an engine I have been playing with. But, it can and will be done. The bearings are the main issue, they are not off the shelf flathead or Honda bearings, and the crank gear is custom

Back