Gear choice for 1/8 dirt oval

Jyoung

New to karting trying to figure out where i should start with my gears. Local track is a 1/8 dirt oval. I have a clone.
Thank you

Provided it's a momentum track pretty much full throttle that your drops on your tach for turns are 500 or less 15/65 ish, if out of throttle some where drops are around 850 14/62 ish, if out of throttle tighter turns drops around 1100 13/59 ish, plus heads up advertised track distance is usually bigger than actual size. If you know nothing about it at all and cannot confirm with someone racing there in the class , I'd roll in with a 14/62 and go from there.

Good Luck !!

Last edited:

This thread you posted is requesting gearing for flathead not clone, plus this track is a small 1/8 th just pointing this out so the OP does not think it applies same for his clone, but is a prime example of how much gearing can change based on close same size track, the track this request was about is a 12 front, there is another PA track here more central located small 1/8 th but more momentum track and it requires a 15 front driver.

This thread you posted is requesting gearing for flathead not clone, plus this track is a small 1/8 th just pointing this out so the OP does not think it applies same for his clone, but is a prime example of how much gearing can change based on close same size track, the track this request was about is a 12 front, there is another PA track here more central located small 1/8 th but more momentum track and it requires a 15 front driver.

What track in central Pa are you referring to? I’ll be racing at Race1 in Dubois, PA, in the stock predator class, and I’m trying to figure out where to start with gears

What track in central Pa are you referring to? I’ll be racing at Race1 in Dubois, PA, in the stock predator class, and I’m trying to figure out where to start with gears
I'd try 17/62 to start at Dubois provided the driver can maximize momentum, If not start on a 16/60 and yes there not the same ratio. The 1/8th here I mentioned is now seven stars was Greenwood ( Lil g ) for predator it's an 18/62 ish.

Back