Gear Help

I'm going to run a 1/4 mile track on a stock predator, what be the best gear to start with.
I assume dirt oval racing, most track sizes get over estimated but if indeed it's that big, I'd start on a 22/62 but it's really hard to say as available grip plays a big part, I would have a 20, 21, 23, front driver with me and 56 to 66 rear gears as well, biggest track we've ran the predator is a true 1/5 th mile with real good grip and it's a 20 front driver.

Last edited:
There's so much to consider! 1st, the track layout. Tight turns with long straights, big turns with short straights.
One tooth on the driver is equal to 3 teeth on the axle in the ranges that have been recommended.
RPM, what is the peak RPM you can expect to see on that track? With what gear ratio?

gear ratio 2.jpg

Need help one track we run is small we was on a 11/67 when we was running red plate now we are running purple but now we need more speed if I go to a 12 driver what rear should I run

Need help one track we run is small we was on a 11/67 when we was running red plate now we are running purple but now we need more speed if I go to a 12 driver what rear should I run
First is this dirt oval racing ?
When you say small track, what size would you guess ?
An 11 / 67 on a red plate , I would think that was a gear rule not by choice ?

No by choice it’s a very small track this past weekend we went up to a12/70 was a lil better but was lil slow coming out the corners

No by choice it’s a very small track this past weekend we went up to a12/70 was a lil better but was lil slow coming out the corners
For that gearing to be even in the ball park it better be very small, like racing around your garage small, pull about 6 off the rear and test.

Back