Gear Help

Tomrug

New to karting still learning, ? is what is the effect if any of running a different front gear if the final ratio is close to the same

12/63=5.25
11/58=5.27

New to karting still learning, ? is what is the effect if any of running a different front gear if the final ratio is close to the same

12/63=5.25
11/58=5.27
With everything else being right the smaller driver will at least help you maintain your position in the turns, pull little better through and off the turns, biggest part is having the correct gearing to compare to, If the 12/63 is not close the 11/58 will do NOTHING.

With everything else being right the smaller driver will at least help you maintain your position in the turns, pull little better through and off the turns, biggest part is having the correct gearing to compare to, If the 12/63 is not close the 11/58 will do NOTHING.
Thank you for your replay. with that said would going to a bigger drive gear 13/68=5.23 give you more Strat away speed. I have been running the 12/63 set up but lake the speed in the stayaway of the one or 2 karts my grandson cant seam to stay with on the second half of the Strat

Thank you for your replay. with that said would going to a bigger drive gear 13/68=5.23 give you more Strat away speed. I have been running the 12/63 set up but lake the speed in the stayaway of the one or 2 karts my grandson cant seam to stay with on the second half of the Strat
Most likely not because your most likely off with the 12/63, Which motor are you running ? color plate ? Flat Kart or champ ? what size track ?
I assume dirt ? Are you using a tach ? if so what RPM are you getting ?

How close are you to running your target rpms? Is he letting off in the turns? My son had a problem with this and until you fix that you’re going to over work yourself chasing gear.

Most likely not because your most likely off with the 12/63, Which motor are you running ? color plate ? Flat Kart or champ ? what size track ?
I assume dirt ? Are you using a tach ? if so what RPM are you getting ?
red plate clone, flat kart 1/8 track 5400

red plate clone, flat kart 1/8 track 5400
Provided he's on the throttle, Your gear bound no where close on gearing which is why it has no straight speed , If he's not running it full throttle where he should be there's nothing you can do with gearing until he is.

I have ask him a number of times and he assures me he is on the throttle in the corner, It looks to me to be right he is strong from the middle off but gives it up down the straight. Any suggestion on gear would be greatly apparated, Thank You

I have ask him a number of times and he assures me he is on the throttle in the corner, It looks to me to be right he is strong from the middle off but gives it up down the straight. Any suggestion on gear would be greatly apparated, Thank You
First drop rear to a 60 and see what happens with RPMs If they don't change or drop very little you know your gear bound, then at that point leave the 60 on the rear and bump front driver up to a 13 and see what RPM does.

my kid races a 1/10 mile dirt track with a Predator 212 his gears is a 15/64 (4.27) and he is still cranking 5200-5300 RPM when I had him on a 13/64 he was cranking the same RPM but was much slower. I'm going to try him on a 62 rear this weekend and see if that gets him some more speed. Like you stated on take offs they take off much slower. have you checked the RPMs he runs?

my kid races a 1/10 mile dirt track with a Predator 212 his gears is a 15/64 (4.27) and he is still cranking 5200-5300 RPM when I had him on a 13/64 he was cranking the same RPM but was much slower. I'm going to try him on a 62 rear this weekend and see if that gets him some more speed. Like you stated on take offs they take off much slower. have you checked the RPMs he runs?
That's how much you were gear bound, And I think you'll find you are still off and can pull even more off rear, If indeed his track is an 1/8 mile he's further off than you were.

That's how much you were gear bound, And I think you'll find you are still off and can pull even more off rear, If indeed his track is an 1/8 mile he's further off than you were.
How do you measure a track to determine its size? distance around the high side, middle or bottom?

I am also going to take him to Allegany Memorial speedway in Wellsville NY 1/10 high bank this weekend, I was told 12/65 would this be anywhere close too you

I am also going to take him to Allegany Memorial speedway in Wellsville NY 1/10 high bank this weekend, I was told 12/65 would this be anywhere close too you
I'm im KY, our track is a 1/10 with high banks and we are running the 15/64. This video was from Friday night. I'm still new to this game and figuring stuff out every week, but I think with a 12 driver you will need a rear gear in the mid 50s

NO that would be SR Clone gearing as well, you need to get a 13 & 14 front drivers for sure and even a 15, If you go with only the 12 driver only use a 56 rear if you got it, If not as small as you got.

Back