Gear Help

Not taking into account the difference ( Details ) in the Engine is what got the OP off on gearing and gear bound in the first place.

Do you have a go pro? If you have one or any video device. Mount it on the kart. Aim the lense at your drivers feet. Best tool ever aside from putting pots on the throttle and brake pedal. It’s hard to get useable info from a brand new driver. I had an issue where the throttle cable slipped once . Even tho we had the pedal mashed throttle was only opening halfway. Food for thought.

Do you have a go pro? If you have one or any video device. Mount it on the kart. Aim the lense at your drivers feet. Best tool ever aside from putting pots on the throttle and brake pedal. It’s hard to get useable info from a brand new driver. I had an issue where the throttle cable slipped once . Even tho we had the pedal mashed throttle was only opening halfway. Food for thought.
good idea thank you

I run Super Heavy class , and the smaller driver seems to always pull better , especially on a dry slick track . I would do as one other stated , and stick with the driver you normally do , but go to a 58 , 59 rear gear and see what happens , you may be gear bound . The lap times will tell the difference . What do the rpm drops look like ? If he is on the gas like he says , there shouldn't be but a few hundred rpms dropped each lap . If the drops are over 800 rpms , he isn't on it , or the kart is to tight , or your stagger is off . I also like the smaller gears and driver , the chain seems to roll across the gears smoother , and they def don't get abused and bent by the surface or an odd ball rock that might have worked its way up .
Al , you really need to build you a 4 cycle engine and get it on a kart , so you can compare the apples and oranges . 2 cycle - High RPMS , no low end grunt , best when wound up and kept wound up . 4 cycle - better suited for low speed grunt , requiring bigger drivers to obtain the same speed as a 2 cycle that can turn a million more rpms than a 4 cycle . 4 cycle - easier to maintain and requires less fine tuning while on the track ( How many have seen a 2 cycle racer messing with his carb while trying to race ? ) Sorry , getting carried away ! Good Luck with your racing !!

Back