Gear Question

So I'm new and trying to learn about gears. I'm currently running a gear because it was suggested not because I truly know and understand. Here's my logic if the rules from No Goat Racing apply.

16/60=3.75 ------Currently Running (at a large track 1/4 mile)
18/67=3.722 -------My Suggestion if the following rules true.
  1. We are currently happy with his speed.
  2. The bigger the driver with the same gear ratio, the more inertia the
    kart will have. It will resist acceleration more than the smaller driver but will also resist deceleration.
  3. Larger driver = higher top speed, but harder to get up to speed (But we have a rolling start with helps this theory)
  4. Larger rear gear = more pull off corner
  5. Larger track use a larger driver

Thoughts suggestions?

So I'm new and trying to learn about gears. I'm currently running a gear because it was suggested not because I truly know and understand. Here's my logic if the rules from No Goat Racing apply.

16/60=3.75 ------Currently Running (at a large track 1/4 mile)
18/67=3.722 -------My Suggestion if the following rules true.
  1. We are currently happy with his speed.
  2. The bigger the driver with the same gear ratio, the more inertia the
    kart will have. It will resist acceleration more than the smaller driver but will also resist deceleration.
  3. Larger driver = higher top speed, but harder to get up to speed (But we have a rolling start with helps this theory)
  4. Larger rear gear = more pull off corner
  5. Larger track use a larger driver

Thoughts suggestions?
First what class and weight with which motor ? And if plate which color ?

Your logic is ok, but when your not on right gearing to start with that logic is all out the window. Plus you need to add the driver needs to be ready to maximize momentum for biggest front driver logic to apply, and if tires are not close you'll always chase gearing. Never be satisfied with your speed until lap times quit going lower !!

A 16 / 60 for a 1/4 mile track with a blue plate clone is way off.
We run jr 3 clone on a high grip momentum 1/5 th mile and run a 18/ 65 to avg 6400 rpm, a quarter mile track even if low grip would be a 19 / 63 ish, and a jr predator ( if stock ) would be 2 front driver sizes bigger for the same track.

Your logic is ok, but when your not on right gearing to start with that logic is all out the window. Plus you need to add the driver needs to be ready to maximize momentum for biggest front driver logic to apply, and if tires are not close you'll always chase gearing. Never be satisfied with your speed until lap times quit going lower !!

A 16 / 60 for a 1/4 mile track with a blue plate clone is way off.
We run jr 3 clone on a high grip momentum 1/5 th mile and run a 18/ 65 to avg 6400 rpm, a quarter mile track even if low grip would be a 19 / 63 ish, and a jr predator ( if stock ) would be 2 front driver sizes bigger for the same track.

I should correct this and say the question was for the predator class. Not the Jr. 3! Sorry!

Seems to me, if you were just testing the clutches, and axle gears, by themselves, the difference in acceleration/deceleration time might be measurable, but when you add the weight of the kart and driver, how much difference could it make? Any calculation of acceleration/deceleration has to include time. The longer the time allowed for either, the less significant the change in sizes would make.

Back