Gear ratio for a 1/5 mile dirt oval 18 degree banking

What is a good gear ratio for a 1/5 mile dirt oval and 18 degree banking, im running a 14 clutch and a 63 sprocket, only real life lto dirt oval kart racers specifically Cage, Champ, or Flat dirt oval kart racers etc please respond.

What is a good gear ratio for a 1/5 mile dirt oval and 18 degree banking, im running a 14 clutch and a 63 sprocket, only real life lto dirt oval kart racers specifically Cage, Champ, or Flat dirt oval kart racers etc please respond.
A Robot must ask "clone or flathead" and "class" ????

What's a bot?
Sorry, I'm not sure anyone here can help you without knowing some more information. What engine, weight, and class would certainly be a good start. The name of the track could be helpful as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

What's a bot?
Sorry, I'm not sure anyone here can help you without knowing some more information. What engine, weight, and class would certainly be a good start. The name of the track could be helpful as well.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Box stock predator unrestricted age 14 and up, 365 lbs minimum, Jackson speedway Jackson Michigan

Box stock predator unrestricted age 14 and up, 365 lbs minimum, Jackson speedway Jackson Michigan
Then a 14/63 is no where close, IF Indeed track is a 1/5 mile even for lower grip track you'll need close to a 19/59 or 18/55 to stay on regular gears.
And turn 4900 rpm.
Do you have a tach now ? If so what rpm reading are you getting ? How far off pace are you to the front runners ?

Then a 14/63 is no where close, IF Indeed track is a 1/5 mile even for lower grip track you'll need close to a 19/59 or 18/55 to stay on regular gears.
And turn 4900 rpm.
Do you have a tach now ? If so what rpm reading are you getting ? How far off pace are you to the front runners ?
So my class is max 5400 rpms and i currently have a tach of 3,300 rpms on my engine but the track was supposed to put da tach on like it said in da rulebook but they didn't, my fellow racers were running at 5400 rpms with a 59 sprocket and 14 clutch and i was running a 13 clutch and 63 sprocket not 14 clutch and anyways i actually won da feature

So my class is max 5400 rpms and i currently have a tach of 3,300 rpms on my engine but the track was supposed to put da tach on like it said in da rulebook but they didn't, my fellow racers were running at 5400 rpms with a 59 sprocket and 14 clutch and i was running a 13 clutch and 63 sprocket not 14 clutch and anyways i actually won da feature
The 5400 rpm is just a max rule on stand, you don't want to race it there not over 5000 rpm if it's stock out of box and race, If your on a 13/63 with a predator and won the race, the track is no where near a fifth mile, Sr Clone gearing to turn 7000 rpm on a 1/5 mile would be 16/60 ish.
Unless everyone is totally out to lunch and you were the chosen one.
Is it a momentum track flat throttle while green flag ?

Just looked it up and Ya it appears to be pretty big, I gotta be missing something, confirmation your on an out of the box predator ? and using 13/63 gearing for that track ? And your tach is only reading 3300 ? But everyone else is on a 14 driver and reading 5400 rpm ?

Just looked it up and Ya it appears to be pretty big, I gotta be missing something, confirmation your on an out of the box predator ? and using 13/63 gearing for that track ? And your tach is only reading 3300 ? But everyone else is on a 14 driver and reading 5400 rpm ?
The track didnt set my rpm like they were supposed too

If 3300 is the reading on your tach, then I suspect it's set incorrectly (likely for 2 cycle.) That would explain a lot.
This is a perfect example of why the track tech needs to use their own tach when checking competitors.

If you're won da race, then you couldn't have been too far off. :)

I'll try this one more time, the max rpm rule is set and checked while the kart is on the stand, just because they are set at 5400 rpm on stand does not mean that's automatic what they race at, what they race at is dictated by the gearing on the kart and track size. If your tach is only reading 3300 rpm after the race, like Brian points out it's because your setting in your tach is off, you need to go in and reset that setting in your tach, which has nothing to do with adjusting max setting of the motor on the stand.
Back to your original question of what close gearing for 1/5 mile dirt oval with an out of the box predator, I can assure you it's not a 13/63 that's no where close, you only want to race that motor at 5000 max with a 13/63 your trying to turn it like 8000 rpm which of course it will not do, The only reason you won the race is everyone is way off on gearing as well.
The gearing I gave you in post #8 ( provided all your details are correct ) would be close, might be a little low on rear if track makes very little grip and tires and set up is off. easy way to test is leave your 63 on the rear and put a 16 driver on you should get a lot faster even though that gearing is still way off.
Do they race Sr Clones there ? If so do you know what the front runners are using for gearing ?
Which Tires are you on ? what air pressures ?

We only have 6 classes, kid sprint which are wing karts any engine, stock appearing, stock appearing medium, stock appearing heavy, Champ kart/cage kart any engine, and box stock predator, theres no spec tire but they require slicks for all 6 classes except kid sprint which they only allow treaded, my fellow box stock predator racers are running a 14 clutch and a 59 sprocket

Curious if you know the others are using 14/59 how you ended up with a 13/63, maybe because you thought your tach reading of 3300 rpm was correct, so you were adding to try to increase rpms ?

Back