Gear ratio question

wfro905

In the back of the JC Specialty book there is a gear ratio chart. Many of the ratios are very similar so I am curious do any arraignments have advantages over others? Such as more teeth on the clutch=more torque or anything like that? Thanks.

In the back of the JC Specialty book there is a gear ratio chart. Many of the ratios are very similar so I am curious do any arraignments have advantages over others? Such as more teeth on the clutch=more torque or anything like that? Thanks.
This question has been argued many times.
There are two camps.
1. A ratio is a ratio.
2. Sometimes you need big drivers, sometimes you need small drivers.
Pick a side. But be warned, this has gone on forever. There are a lot of people in group 1, and even more in group 2. You decide.
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory.

I would bet there is no one in group 1 that has raced karts on a oval more than one season! By the end of one complete season they will have to move to group 2 or have quit the sport because of getting spanked !

Ill rephrase my question. What are the advantages or disadvantages of a larger driver compared to the same ration setup with a smaller driver?

Or what applications would you want a small driver over a large driver with the same ratio?

You would use smaller drivers for tracks which are smaller, with having to lift off the throttle in the corners, bigger driver gears for bigger momentum tracks where you don't lift or just burp the throttle.

I agree that a ratio has a top mph, the configuration of how you get to that ratio determines if it hits that MPH mid way down the straight or the end of the straight

Here is one example...say the track at the beginning of the night is fresh and has not gripped up...
Say you run a 14/59 all is good...
Then later in the night the track grips up, then you switch to a 15/63... All is good...
You can keep the momentum up better to use the bigger driver and laps get better so on so forth...

Carlson Racing Engines has the best explanation I've read, thanks Brian :)
http://www.carlsonmotorsports.com/CRETechAug.html
Very good explanation.
Even easier, a gear ratio chart where you can put in the starting axle gear and the starting engine gear and see ratios for 20 different axle gears and 10 different engine gears. Add to that, it all prints out on one sheet of paper. All you need is Excel, or OpenOffice, which is a free download. There's also a chart for those using a jack shaft. It's free, email; anunley@austin.rr.com. Do not send email to Bob's.

Here is one example...say the track at the beginning of the night is fresh and has not gripped up...
Say you run a 14/59 all is good...
Then later in the night the track grips up, then you switch to a 15/63... All is good...
You can keep the momentum up better to use the bigger driver and laps get better so on so forth...

I would love to see how running the same gear ratio can make any difference. Really, I really don't understand.

Al, you will never know until you race a 4 stroke. How many times do I need to tell you the same thing?
you have never told me Jack, how it works, all you said is it does work. So you can tell me 100 times, or 1000 times, that it works, and when you get to the part that tells me how it works, I'll stop asking.

I do not know about the group 1 and 2 stuff, BUT it takes more power to rotate a chain over a small sprocket then it does a big sprocket, that is not my opionion it is in almost all Engineering books and sprocket and chain mfg's. recognize this, it is all about friction created by the smaller circle of rotation created by the chain. I remember enduro racing with 14t sprocket when we could have used a 12t, final gear ration being equal it seemed to be faster and more reliable.
Mike

you have never told me Jack, how it works, all you said is it does work. So you can tell me 100 times, or 1000 times, that it works, and when you get to the part that tells me how it works, I'll stop asking.
In oval racing, it makes a difference. Those that know it, know it. Those that don't know it, will never believe it.
As for as how it works, it works very well, thank you. :)

There are some things you simply do not need to know.......no matter how many times you ask for an answer that suits you.

Back