gear ratio?

JRW31526

have a open motor, and want to know a good compromise, i have a 53t sprocket, and was wondering out of which gear i should choose i can pick from 11 to 21 i was thinking 16 or 18, high bite 1/2 mile asphalt,
im running a magnum clutch, light shoes green spring, 360 cam, tilly 304 alky, 36* timing

have a open motor, and want to know a good compromise, i have a 53t sprocket, and was wondering out of which gear i should choose i can pick from 11 to 21 i was thinking 16 or 18, high bite 1/2 mile asphalt,
im running a magnum clutch, light shoes green spring, 360 cam, tilly 304 alky, 36* timing
it's kind of tough if you only have one axle gear. Going from a 16 to an 18 tooth is the same as changing 7 teeth on the axle. Just changing one tooth on the engine is a big change in ratio. Right near 3 1/2 teeth. The 12/65 is a 5.50 ratio. That one seems kind of low, but I don't know that for a fact. Sure would be nice if you could ask someone from the track.

Go with heavy shoes in your clutch for big momentum tracks, that will help also. 21-23 tooth cutch driver sounds about right for 1/2 mile, if its an oval. If theres left and right turns, with some tight, id be on a smaller driver.

yeah it has both left and right turns, so i was thinking 18 or 19, i could buy either light or heavy shoes and either white or green springs, what engagement speed should i shoot for?

Back