Gear setup in a 1/5 mile dirt oval

What would be a good gear setup up for a first timer on a 1/5 mile dirt track, I’m running a 212 Predator pushing 6400 rpms, running a 12/70 now, this is a new track for me, so don’t know any lap times yet. With 9” Maxxis new with prep. Thank you.

If indeed it's a 1/5 th mile you don't want to be anywhere close to your 12/70 your running now, Put a 17/60 on it see what it does should be in the ball park, Then if it's a momentum track test the waters a little after a few races on the 17 driver you might find an 18 driver to be better.

Is there only one weight class for the 212?

The design of a 1/5 mile track would give you a lot of options. Is it sweeping turns with short straightaways? Or maybe
tighter turns with long straightaways. There would be a difference in your gear between those 2.

A 4 – 1 ratio might be a good place to start. I have my suspicions you're not going to hit that 6800 RPM peak. Finding the right ratio me it can on track conditions. A wet slow track and you may not learn much. I woodn't get too excited in the practice sessions if your slow and track is slow. The real test is your ratio probably be the first heat.

Is there only one weight class for the 212?

The design of a 1/5 mile track would give you a lot of options. Is it sweeping turns with short straightaways? Or maybe
tighter turns with long straightaways. There would be a difference in your gear between those 2.

A 4 – 1 ratio might be a good place to start. I have my suspicions you're not going to hit that 6800 RPM peak. Finding the right ratio me it can on track conditions. A wet slow track and you may not learn much. I woodn't get too excited in the practice sessions if your slow and track is slow. The real test is your ratio probably be the first heat.
He's not looking for 6800 rpm he say's 6400 rpm, If he was looking for 6800 rpm he would need a 17/64

I find this interesting

Attachments

• 5th mile 2 2 2021.jpg
    5th mile 2 2 2021.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 126
Without knowing what has been done to the engine ect, , rules and such , it is difficult to give a guess as to what could be suggested . But Racing Promotor has given you a pretty good starting point . I would also keep a 15 and 16 driver handy , as you can never tell what you might encounter . They may advertise as 1/5 mile , but might be smaller , or even larger than advertised . I don't think you will go wrong trying out the 17 first , but never limit yourself with to few options .

Something I forgot; don't forget to adjust your stagger, it's going to be quite a bit less, relatively. Depends on the turn radius.

Your going to have to feel it out, Don't panic right after practice If your only 400 rpm or so low as track will gain rpm without any adjustment, If your 400 rpm low say only add 2 to the rear, Track should gain the rest, On the flip side if you would hit your target rpm's during practice or real close to it, then just pull 2 teeth off the rear, If after practice you would be 500 rpm + low from your target rpm then leave rear gear alone and drop front driver to a 16, but yes take a selection of gears with you, the 17/60 will be good start.

Back