Gear size help!!

Sk0m0

I was wondering how to figure out what gear sizes to run for a dirt oval track that is just reopening close to me? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Once you have enough experience you just walk up and look at it. But a lot goes into gearing, overall size, how tight turns are, any up hill pull, how well the track grips up, which engine your running, class and weight, flat kart or champ.
How big is the track ? Which class and weight with which engine ?

Once you have enough experience you just walk up and look at it. But a lot goes into gearing, overall size, how tight turns are, any up hill pull, how well the track grips up, which engine your running, class and weight, flat kart or champ.
How big is the track ? Which class and weight with which engine ?
It's a 1/5 mile and I will be running a sealed predator 212 the weight is 370 lbs. I know they will also be running micro sprints and such the day before if that means anything.

I just sent them a message to see what they say.
Just to give you an idea Sr Clone with more HP to turn 7000 rpm there would be like a 16/63 ish, STOCK Predator lower HP to turn 5000 rpm would be like an 18/61 ish, But you really need to confirm the HP range in comparison and target rpm, If I had to go in blind thinking there looking for around 6000 rpm I'd start out around a 17/62 and go from there, but hopefully you'll be able to get some solid info.

Just to give you an idea Sr Clone with more HP to turn 7000 rpm there would be like a 16/63 ish, STOCK Predator lower HP to turn 5000 rpm would be like an 18/61 ish, But you really need to confirm the HP range in comparison and target rpm, If I had to go in blind thinking there looking for around 6000 rpm I'd start out around a 17/62 and go from there, but hopefully you'll be able to get some solid info.
I will have to wait till I go to shop that sells the engines. The series wasn't super helpful just said they don't have a rpm rule and everything is on the website.

Maybe I can give you a little help.
One tooth on the engine is equal to about four teeth on the axle. So adding two teeth to the engine would be the same as adding 8 teeth to the axle.

I will have to wait till I go to shop that sells the engines. The series wasn't super helpful just said they don't have a rpm rule and everything is on the website.
If you are talking about Precise, then I think you would be better off to call Jay Groves at Kart Works.

I'd proly throw on a 15-65 and see how it goes.

One time around the track should tell you which way to go from there.

Only ran there once long ago and don't remember but won the one time there.

I don't know much about karting since this will be my first time ever even being in one. Which is why I was thinking the Rush Series would be nice since they are sealed motors and everyone is on the same tire with no prep allowed.

Back