Gear

"Stock-Appearing Clone" (w/a 390 Carb)....Hummmm, must be sumthun wrong w/my glasses...(?) :) Anyhow....how much wgt are you moving, what is ur tire size, what clutch are you running, lite or hvy flywheel, what cam are you using, and...is it a full throttle track or a tight track? Other than a few 'minor' questions like that.... you'll be good-2g0! (what have I missed here....i'm an asphalt kinda guy?)
Opps! (1) more thing....are you allow too use that 'nasty' tire stuff in Texas too? That's the 'art' of it as I understand it! :)

Last edited:
I can kind of tell you are not from around here and not a dirt racer. Dallas Ga. not Texas. #350lbs, lite flywheel, 34" inch tire not a full throttle track. I have lots of clutches, just need to know a front clutch gear and rear gear to start with and go from there.

I can kind of tell you are not from around here and not a dirt racer. Dallas Ga. not Texas. #350lbs, lite flywheel, 34" inch tire not a full throttle track. I have lots of clutches, just need to know a front clutch gear and rear gear to start with and go from there.
:)...sori, I thought there was ONLY one-Dallas!! With a 34" tire....i'd throw about a 5.5 (ratio) gear on it and see where the rpm goes and adjust accordingly.

Thanks for the info, one of my friends saw this post and sent me pm and said maybe mid to high 4.0 ratio, going to keep researching.
Unless you get an 'educated-guess', go for 4.8-5.0! One thing I DON'T do is too over 'LOAD' the motor. Also, it's easier too 'drop' gear/rpm than is is 'chasing it. JMO

Back