Gearing 17/62, 17/63 or 17/64

Kartingfan_12

I have a question about gearing. We raced on the backwards track on June 7. We ran a 17/62 on the backwards track and we was the fastest kart that night and 3 tenths faster than the best racers . Last night we ran the regular way, We went up two teeth to 64. I was hitting the rev limiter at the end of the straightway and halfway to the back corner but we was off about 8 tenths slower than the leaders.

What is the best gearing to use for the regular track?

I have a question about gearing. We raced on the backwards track on June 7. We ran a 17/62 on the backwards track and we was the fastest kart that night and 3 tenths faster than the best racers . Last night we ran the regular way, We went up two teeth to 64. I was hitting the rev limiter at the end of the straightway and halfway to the back corner but we was off about 8 tenths slower than the leaders.

What is the best gearing to use for the regular track?
You went the wrong way for racing the regular direction because your now making more momentum, IF 17/62 was perfect for backward 17/59 to 60 rear would be closer for regular direction, as far as best you'll have to test that but for sure less rear.
Being to good racing opposite direction would scare me my set up was off.

You were 1.1 seconds off the lead and you're attributing it to the wrong gear ratio?? In all my years of racing I've never encountered a race where they did the track backwards, so I haven't got a clue, except that, I can't believe you could be off that far Because Of the ratio.

Of course there's always the fact that, everybody was on a new track last time, and this time it sounds like you are the only one on a new track. I don't remember you saying that you raced there before.

I'm probably gonna put the 62 back on to see if we get some more speed. My engine builder gave me a tip to use a 64. I ran about the same lap times running the backwards and regular way. My average lap was around 32.800 running the backwards race and regular way.

Last edited:
You went the wrong way for racing the regular direction because your now making more momentum, IF 17/62 was perfect for backward 17/59 to 60 rear would be closer for regular direction, as far as best you'll have to test that but for sure less rear.
Being to good racing opposite direction would scare me my set up was off.
I'm probably gonna put the 62 back on to see if we get some more speed. My engine builder gave me a tip to use a 64. I ran about the same lap times running the backwards and regular way. My average lap was around 32.800 running the backwards race and regular way.
You were 8th off the pace racing proper direction, your avg speed means nothing, you have a lot more issues than 2 teeth to change on gearing.

This on a sprint track , at 32.8 seconds on average ?
3 tenths fast running it in reverse better then most . Yet 8 tenths slower running normal configuration .
Setup , tires and driving would be my concern .

Work on setup.. don't chase a gear ratio or and RPM> The kart must roll through the corners. Tune the chassis and keep dropping teeth and your lap times will go down.

Back