Gearing for 1/8th mile

EthanP3

1623380127180.png

They say its 840 in the groove and ive been told to run no less than a 15 tooth

Running Predator with CL1 cam,10.8 springs, and stock air box

15/?? Is the question! nice-looking track! I can't tell if there's any Banking, is there? Long straights, Tight turns, (banking??) Makes it hard to decide on gearing. Looks like stagger could be important!

Measurements would be nice, length and width of the infield, width of the track?

15/?? Is the question! nice-looking track! I can't tell if there's any Banking, is there? Long straights, Tight turns, (banking??) Makes it hard to decide on gearing. Looks like stagger could be important!

Measurements would be nice, length and width of the infield, width of the track?
All I know is they said it's "840 at the top of the groove" it's banked pretty good. We run about an inch and half stagger. It's big enough for Micro Sprints to run 2 wide in places.

All I know is they said it's "840 at the top of the groove" it's banked pretty good. We run about an inch and half stagger. It's big enough for Micro Sprints to run 2 wide in places.
840'is 6.25 of a mile. Don't know for sure, but 1.5 stagger sounds excessive. Hard to tell without measurements!

I've been hearing a lot about mini gears, Do you have any experience with them?

Al, did you mean .625 mile or maybe 6/25 mile? I believe 840 ft is .159 mile

Last edited:
a lot depends on corner speeds and if you have to get off the throttle, which is disasterous in box stock racing.

5280/2640 = 2.0 or 1/2 mile
5280/1320 = 4.0 or 1/4 mile
5280/660 = 8.0 or 1/8 mile
5280/840 = 6.285 mile
Paper clip shaped tracks and tracks with faster corners do not need the same gearing. Especially in low horsepower classes where backing off the throttle really hurts you.

Al, divide 1 by 6.285 and i bet you will come up with .159 mile. Correcting you or adding to your comments is like pi$$ing into a fan. Really messy. I'm wrong many times or vague with my responses but I don't need to try defend myself constantly. By the way, 35 years in and around karting and still tuning on national series winners. 71 years old so give me a break and I'll give you one.

Last edited:
You can always tell when you've won an argument. You start hearing swearwords and putdowns. Something to the effect "the rest of the world knows better". I learned many years ago, it's presumptuous to speak the rest of the world, orr any part of it.

Maybe I should have said; 1/6.25 of a mile

That would have more sense to the rest of the world. I think you read posts with a negative attitude, not matter what. My first post was only to clarify what you posted. No where did I swear at you or try to put you down. You definitely did not win this argument since I never argued with you but was only try to clarify your original post which was not explanatory. I give up ever responding to one of your posts and hope you do the same for me. Have a good day!

Back