Gearing for a new Track

I
Not always so.

Most racers at most Saturday night tracks get into a habit of how their track needs to be run which may be what's fast but usually isnt.
Then an experienced racer shows up and runs it differently, kicking local butt. ... :)

Your local fast guy may just be the fastest of the so so's, who race there.
Or he may really be good.

It all depends on .... Stuff.
Oh I get that, but so far I have yet to see a race, even those with travelers, where he isnt at least top two or 3.

You use the stop watch to time classes ahead of you so you know what the track is doing to help you decide tire selection for your race.

The above advice has been given before on here probably by racing promotor and it's some of the best advice you'll ever read on here so IMHO, take it to heart and remember it for ever.

In addition to what racing promotor gave except for what the results of time trials indicate toward the rest of the racing night I never ever care about or look at lap times.
period end of story.

I do though through out any race I'm watching whether I have and entry I'm working with or not check times thru corner entry and thru exit. For me from experience watching racers between the end of entry and the start of exit does not need to timed to see how they do maintaining momentum and setting their exit position.
I pick two spots or markers on or off the track like a light pole or something and do my own one thousand one, two thousand two, etc., to compare differences in time per how they got thru either entry or exit.

For me the fun is always about knowing about the setup of what's on the track and either seeing perfection or near perfection at places around the track or finding even hidden on track problems which need addressed.

If you can identify perfection, near perfection, correctly identify on track problems, the likely why it happens for each and a logical dynamic reason for the good or bad, even top world class racers and crew chiefs will talk to you about it.

The really fun part is when what's raced is again put on the track, you know what has been done to it and why it was done.
It's total fun to go to a race and know the setup of some of what's out there, what is done to change it and then see the results without even having to get your hands dirty. ... :)

All that to say you need to know what your putting on the track, the reasons behind what you put on the track and then it's all about properly identifying on track problems. If you can do it you then have a chance at getting faster next time out.

Why is racing like shooting pool, golf, archery, throwing darts and other personal goal achieving contests.

answer: There all the same because in each "your never as good as you think you are". ... :)

Last edited:
And your lap times weren't better ? Can't see with those few changes your still pulling at 5500 RPM and would think your floating the valves more than you think. Here box stock predator is 5000 max and on our small 1/8 th track at 375 lb weight gearing is 18/62 ish or 17/58 ish for a night race, an added 25 lb can't make that much of a difference, Now here were on a Burris 33 tire rule which we run a harder 33 and a lot more air than Sr Clone, How much are you out of the throttle on your 1/8 th track ?
He's not on a box stock program. He has an a/m filter, pipe, jets and springs. Didn't say if its a small pipe but i believe twister is. The air box alone is a big pickup.

He's not on a box stock program. He has an a/m filter, pipe, jets and springs. Didn't say if its a small pipe but i believe twister is. The air box alone is a big pickup.
They changed back to the large pipe a couple years ago. They tried the weenie pipe and the class nearly died. Basically the best a predator can breathe without a machine shop.

Even so he says he's floating the valves at times at 5500 so that's max, still should not have to gear it like a Sr Clone turning 6800 +, still should be somewhere more in the middle, I'd still say kart is tight, tires are over prepped to low air, or all of the above.

Predator 400. Shoe clutches only. The track is E3 Speedway in Ash Grove MO

I use a Maxx Torque. I Think I could change out a driver. I might be able to track down a clutch with a bully driver on it.

Relatively. K&N filter, 10.8 springs, jets, relocated tank, and muffler.
Relativly ????
Now its sorta stock . No telling whats inside .
At 5500 its tounges hanging out , it can't go any faster .
Until you pull gear off or get a better engine .
Racing Promoter is right its tight , free it up with air or prep .
Drop 2 rear teeth tune it back to 5500 , drop some more till your out front .

Last edited:
Relativly ????Now its sorta stock . No telling whats inside .
Its stock predator on the inside as far as I know. I'm cheap so I dont want to have to get a new motor if I got caught outside of the rules. Its legal to our local rules to the best of my knowledge.

Do you have a claim rule in affect as part of your rules ?? Are they doing tech on these engines ??
There is a claim rule. No tech unless its claimed in which case the claimer is teched first, then the claimee is teched. I have no doubt I am racing with guys who are outside of the rules, but I am not one of em. If I want to go faster I'll move to SR clones.

There is a claim rule. No tech unless its claimed in which case the claimer is teched first, then the claimee is teched. I have no doubt I am racing with guys who are outside of the rules, but I am not one of em. If I want to go faster I'll move to SR clones.
So they treat a claim like a protest ? tech before you get the engine your claiming ?

You have your eyes open thats a good thing .
Now its as paul says .
Put the 12 tooth on and fix any on track problems you have .
New track new set of problems , hope for good weather cause its not looking good now .

You have your eyes open thats a good thing .
Now its as paul says .
Put the 12 tooth on and fix any on track problems you have .
New track new set of problems , hope for good weather cause its not looking good now .
Hoping and praying haha

The 12 tooth came in today, so I should be in the ballpark friday night.

Back