Gearing for a new Track

jaymancds

So I am planning to go to a track I havent ever been to on Friday night. My normal track is a 1/8th mile and I run a 15/63-65 depending on the conditions. The new to me track is around a 1/16th mile. It was recommended to run a 12/64-65. I dont have anything but a 15 driver, so could I go to like a 69-70 rear gear and be close? What do I need to do to be close gear wise other than change the driver?

Its normally like 4 rear gear teeth to 1 driver gear, so I think you would still need more, some have had trouble with a 70 tooh gear hitting the track as its bigger than the gear guard.

So I am planning to go to a track I havent ever been to on Friday night. My normal track is a 1/8th mile and I run a 15/63-65 depending on the conditions. The new to me track is around a 1/16th mile. It was recommended to run a 12/64-65. I dont have anything but a 15 driver, so could I go to like a 69-70 rear gear and be close? What do I need to do to be close gear wise other than change the driver?
First question NO a 69 or 70 won't even be close with a 15 driver provided your 12/64 suggestion is close info, Second question your only option is change the front driver. I'm assuming a Clone engine ?

What do I need to do to be close gear wise other than change the driver?

The answer is tell us what track, your kart, your weight and the engine class you'll be in and you'll get a proper/good/ok answer.

--------------------------

We also don't know if what your on now at your regular track is correct.
Give us the same info about where you race now.

It's no use giving you info on a new track if what you explain about the gearing etc. at your normal track is ok.
With what you gave us you may be ok and a winner every week at your normal track but per your question you may need some help there too.

If your gearing is now off along with other things and you get good info for the new track you may be totally surprised how well you do at the new track.
Butt then when you return to your normal track it will be business as usual even though you saw improvement elsewhere.
All anyone wants to do on here is get fun and satisfaction hearing you did great after receiving some new ideas and maybe even ok advice.

Last edited:
The answer is tell us what track, your kart, your weight and the engine class you'll be in and you'll get a proper/good/ok answer.
First question NO a 69 or 70 won't even be close with a 15 driver provided your 12/64 suggestion is close info, Second question your only option is change the front driver. I'm assuming a Clone engine ?
Predator 400. Shoe clutches only. The track is E3 Speedway in Ash Grove MO

racing promotor???
My first thoughts when I saw current gearing on an 1/8 mile is that he currently has to be going a gazillion miles per hour on the 15?
Do you think I'm thinking ok on it?

That's what led me to think he's off on his current setup if it is an 1/8 mile. and... ???????????????????????

With a 12 tooth driver it's more like 5 axle teeth for 1 engine tooth.

12_53 6 22 2020.jpg

racing promotor???
My first thoughts when I saw current gearing on an 1/8 mile is that he currently has to be going a gazillion miles per hour on the 15?
Do you think I'm thinking ok on it?

That's what led me to think he's off on his current setup if it is an 1/8 mile. and... ???????????????????????
Now knowing it's a predator engine, and if all info is close, yes he's way off on gearing with a 15/63 ish for the 1/8th , that would be Sr Clone gearing.

Which shoe clutch ? You have changable drivers ?
You really need the 12 tooth . Possibly a 13 . 1/16th you need pull no time to stretch it out .

Not the way it works out on track and for sure not with a Predator engine.
I'm afraid I don't understand, why doesn't it work out on the track, and what does a predator, being the engine, have to do with it?
The purpose of my post was only to show the difference in ratios. Is my gear ratio chart incorrect?

--------------------------

We also don't know if what your on now at your regular track is correct.
Give us the same info about where you race now.

It's no use giving you info on a new track if what you explain about the gearing etc. at your normal track is ok.
With what you gave us you may be ok and a winner every week at your normal track but per your question you may need some help there too.

If your gearing is now off along with other things and you get good info for the new track you may be totally surprised how well you do at the new track.
Butt then when you return to your normal track it will be business as usual even though you saw improvement elsewhere.
All anyone wants to do on here is get fun and satisfaction hearing you did great after receiving some new ideas and maybe even ok advice.
I race normally at Twister Alley in Butterfield MO. I ran the same gear setup as the winner for the last two weeks. I get a lot of help from the Track champion for every season they've ran the predators, and I was on the same gear he was this week. He has won 2 of the 3 we've had this season.

Just for reference, I've gone from a lapper to top 4 in 3 races. Definitely on the right track as far as I know.

Hard to type this out and not sound defensive haha :)

Jaymancds,

It's very simple arithmetic if you're just looking for the equivalent gear ratio.

You only have a 15 driver... so if you want to find the same ratio with a 15, as the recommended 12/64, you just do.....

15 x 64 / 12. (15 times 64 divided by 12). 80. In other words, a 15/80 is the same ratio as a 12/64.

PM

Hard to type this out and not sound defensive haha :)
Hard for me to think that's true! Nothing wrong with explaining why you think you have the right set up, including ratio. Without knowing where you're racing, or knowing anything about the track conditions, I would never think to criticize anything you do. If I criticized anything, it would be the briefness of your question.

Now knowing it's a Predator what RPM readings are you getting with 15/63 to 65 for the 1/8th track ?

Back