Gearing help

F1F21

We are finally getting to race in my area tomorrow and I need help! Running open predator and need to get more ‘punch’ off the corner. 1/8 decently banked track but doing some practice run in front of the house shaking the kart down, it feels really lazy out of the hole. I’m running a 14/72 gear with a Hilliard flame clutch with 2 black and 2 white springs. So what I need to know is should I make a gear change or work on the clutch? Any info would be appreciated!

Hilliard flame clutch with 2 black and 2 white springs. So what I need to know is should I make a gear change or work on the clutch? Any info would be appreciated!
Do you have a tachometer? You need to know what the RPM is coming out of the corner. You may need stronger springs. What's the condition of the motor, that could be a problem too.

my stock engine dyno says you want to hit 4600 4650 at the end of the strait every one else will tell you 48. your call

Last edited:
Do you have a tachometer? What RPM is it turning coming out of the corners? What size jets are in the carburetor? Gas or alcohol? It could be too lean or too rich! What's the history on your set up, kart had the engine, new or used?

FYI im speaking of out of the box predator I have no clue what open predator is or what to recommend for clutch or rpm without looking at a dyno read out

With a Mycron5 or 5s you can get it to show you the engine power curve with a laptop and the AIM software

I'm with RP . 14-72 is plenty of gear .
clutch springs B/W are ok White will come in sooner .
Open Predator too me is a modified .
That definition could change everything .

Actually he talks about both, needs more punch off the corner, and it's lazy out of the hole, but yes say's test in front of the house.

My question is has this ever been to the track and what did it act like at the track? I know mine takes off slow as a snail and picks up speed pretty quick..
I'm sure riding it around my neighborhood would be nothing like at the track..

My question is has this ever been to the track and what did it act like at the track? I know mine takes off slow as a snail and picks up speed pretty quick..
I'm sure writing it around my neighborhood would be nothing like at the track..
At the track we normally run at it’s a big 1/4 mile fairly flat never lift type of track. The track we are going to tomorrow is completely different and I’ve raced a 600 micro there just never a kart

Back