Gearing help

I'd wait til you get to the track, we dont race from a dead stop in dirt oval.....
My guess you'll have more issues than just the gear ratio
I agree I’m just assuming with how long it’s taking to get going right now, it might be a slug coming off the corner and never get the RPM’s up to make enough HP before the next corner but I completely agree it could be just fine and I am worried about nothing

You'll want to engage the clutch around 3800 Rpm, For a 1/8 th mile banked that makes descent momentum you'll be ok starting with the 14 driver but pull 10 teeth off the rear to start, put a 62 on it, might be a little low depending on momentum you can carry so have 63,64,65,66, rear gears along just in case, If your set up and tires are close and you make good momentum you'll need a 61, and 60 rear gear as well, that gearing is for 35 chain by the way, For Kart Racing take that 72 off and don't even take it along to the track, in fact anything bigger than a 68 leave at home with it just have a better selection of front drivers 13 thru 17 at least.

Good Luck !!

what ever your torque peak RPM is your tach should be dancing around that number when your kart starts pull from a stand still

You'll want to engage the clutch around 3800 Rpm, For a 1/8 th mile banked that makes descent momentum you'll be ok starting with the 14 driver but pull 10 teeth off the rear to start, put a 62 on it, might be a little low depending on momentum you can carry so have 63,64,65,66, rear gears along just in case, If your set up and tires are close and you make good momentum you'll need a 61, and 60 rear gear as well, that gearing is for 35 chain by the way, For Kart Racing take that 72 off and don't even take it along to the track, in fact anything bigger than a 68 leave at home with it just have a better selection of front drivers 13 thru 17 at least.

Good Luck !!
Ok I will make sure I have all those gears with me

Not knowing the weight class he is running , I bet he ends up on a 12 or 13 driver and a 61 or 62 gear . And it should be known , what some of us call a Predator is a Harbor Freight 212 , and a clone is a 196 . Not knowing exactly what he is running makes a big difference . I am just pointing out some things here , that makes it hard to say what he needs to try .

Not knowing the weight class he is running , I bet he ends up on a 12 or 13 driver and a 61 or 62 gear . And it should be known , what some of us call a Predator is a Harbor Freight 212 , and a clone is a 196 . Not knowing exactly what he is running makes a big difference . I am just pointing out some things here , that makes it hard to say what he needs to try .
That will mostly depend on how close his estimate to 1/8 th mile track was, If he ends up on a 12 driver it wasn't to close, But I'll bet for sure he'll be better with the 14/62 than he would of been with a 14/72 ;)

further compounded by the fact that there are no sanctioned rules regarding the predator 212. open, stock appearing weenie pipe ,top plate springs. etc etc. one really needs the power curve hp/torque numbers and his drop in the corners to properly tell him how to gear it. everything else is speculation

At the track we normally run at it’s a big 1/4 mile fairly flat never lift type of track. The track we are going to tomorrow is completely different and I’ve raced a 600 micro there just never a kart
I assume you mean you run this same open predator you wish to turn 6800 rpm at the 1/4 mile, If so curious what gearing combo you use there ?

How'd did it go today ?
Pretty good. Ended up running the 14/68 and was right at 6700 range and it pulled all the way down the straight away. With some set up changes o think we are close. Managed to finish 3rd but had nothing for the top 2. I’ve been wanting to try a bigger driver for a while now and I think I’m gonna bolt on a 17 for the next race. I’m hoping it will help and get my fat ass going faster hahaha. Thank you for all the advice it is greatly appreciated! And sorry for the late response work is CRAZY right now and I don’t get on here as much these days.

At the track we normally run at it’s a big 1/4 mile fairly flat never lift type of track. The track we are going to tomorrow is completely different and I’ve raced a 600 micro there just never a kart
One tooth on the driver is worth 4 teeth on the axle. I think you're topped out with a 14 driver. Have you put any thought into a 12 or 11 driver?

Pretty good. Ended up running the 14/68 and was right at 6700 range and it pulled all the way down the straight away. With some set up changes o think we are close. Managed to finish 3rd but had nothing for the top 2. I’ve been wanting to try a bigger driver for a while now and I think I’m gonna bolt on a 17 for the next race. I’m hoping it will help and get my fat ass going faster hahaha. Thank you for all the advice it is greatly appreciated! And sorry for the late response work is CRAZY right now and I don’t get on here as much these days.
You have a PM

I'm at this point where gears come into play. Daughter is running in adult sealed predator class 375. We have to keep rpms at no more than 5600.

Back