Gearing help

Doesn't matter if governor in or out, or track size don't turn it over 4800 RPM on track racing, just because the rule is 5600 rpm max does not mean it makes power there, plus most max RPM rules are checked on stand.

Doesn't matter if governor in or out, or track size don't turn it over 4800 RPM on track racing, just because the rule is 5600 rpm max does not mean it makes power there, plus most max RPM rules are checked on stand.
So if my rpms sound like I am bogging out of the corner is that normal? Do these predator motors like that?

the engine is out of breath at 4800 the motor is way past its peak. its not making any power above 46. you want your engine to pull from the apex of the corner and be just barely past is HP peak at the end of the strait. if your turning 5500 at the end of the strait you are so far out of its power peak its not even funny. the govoner or where the rpm limit makes no difference I don't know why there is a on the stand rpm rule on these motors un less you wanna find cheaters.

So if my rpms sound like I am bogging out of the corner is that normal? Do these predator motors like that?
no it means your out of the power range these are not high reving motors. the cam is not profiled for that. its meant to be powerful around 3500 to run generators and power washers.

I would try the 13 driver with a 60 to 64 gear . With the 14 driver , the motor is bogging down in the corner to much as it is . That 17 driver will be even worse . If you have a tach on your kart , depending on what tach you have , you should be able to see the RPM highs and lows for each lap . A good handling kart may see 500 to 800 RPM drops , a Great handling kart may only see 300 to 600 RPM drops . Your target RPM should be the engines performance range , anything less your not using it all , and anything much over you are just turning RPM's . I still haven't heard if your running a True Predator (212cc) or a Clone ( 196cc) . 6800 rpm's for a predator sounds a bit high , depending on what has been done to it . We turn our AKRA clones about 6700 to 7000 , and that is with engine mods out the wazzoo . You want your engine to reach its maximum power range just before the corner , jmo , You might have to work on the handling of your kart . How much steering input are you having to do ? Watch the fast karts , and see how much steering input they are doing , with a Great handling kart , you will hardly see the drivers hands move the wheel at any time . You get close on the gearing , then working on the handling get easier .

Back