Gearing light vs heavy box stock

jsf74

Kicking around some ideas and Gearing theories. Two karts being 100% equal on the same track but one is 325lbs and one is 375lbs. Shouldn’t the lighter kart run a lower rear gear and possibly a larger front driver and still be faster once rolling and equal on restarts. Small bullring if it matters.

With everything matching 100 % ( which is impossible ) including the same driver wheeling it, the lower weight kart would require 1 lower number rear gear 99 % of the tracks, there may be a rare case where the lower weight kart would be better with 1 front driver size bigger.

But doesn’t it require a certain amount of leverage to move a given amount of weight? Maybe 50lbs is not enough to make as big a difference as I anticipated. The reason behind this is we have heavy karts sometimes run with our light class and it seems to me other than weight we could have a gearing advantage particularly on restarts. Once up to speed my theory was same amount of hp lighter weight less gear equals faster lap times.

Your putting to much into one thing gearing, heavy karts run with or out run lighter karts simply because there better, It is NO theory when there stuff is right same hp less weight, one lower rear gear will equal faster lap times.

Probably has to do with being able to maintain momentum.

Will a heavier kart with that much more inertia be able to maintain equal or better momentum than a lighter kart with the same gear?
Could track itself influence this?
Likely not a cut and dried answer.

Perfection is being able to run at your limit of grip with the track.

You can go faster if you can raise the limit of grip and have the hp to meet your new limit what ever your weight.
In every case if your limit of grip lowers you cannot go as fast.

Beyond the above it's about if a heavier weight raises their limit of grip enough in the turns and picks up enough additional maintained momentum in the turns, to over come the acceleration advantage on the straights of the lighter racer.

The reality of it is about if the heavier racer is skilled enough to free up his heavier racer.
When you see the heavier racer build momentum and carry more speed thru the corners beating lighter racers, it's not about the heavier racers skill or ability to have more grip in the turns, it's about the lack of skill of the lighter racers.

The track offers the same grip to all racers.
In all cases a lighter racer with stickier tires should beat a heavier racer with less sticky tire because all other things being equal the lighter racer builds less g force and can run the same line faster. ... and a big maybe on that one. ... :)

To maintain the same speed with equal hp on the same line the heavier racer must use more grip then the lighter racer.
If there using more grip then they also have more rolling resistance.

Again it seems to me it's not about the heavier racer having more skill it's about the lighter racer not having enough skill.
I once watched a match race between the two fastest super modified's and the two fasted winged sprints on paved oval.

The winged sprints totally dominated the supers in both acceleration and in the turns.

Man all the heavy hitters responding! Awesome
I should state we aren’t getting beat by the heavy drivers im just looking for every advantage i can get 100% of the time. Very good point about A heavier driver having more grip thats one thing I didn’t take into account i guess I’ll just have to figure out our limits by reaching them until we loose speed. I like doing things differently and seeing what works and what doesn’t. Part of the fun!

I once watched a match race between the two fastest super modified's and the two fasted winged sprints on paved oval.

The winged sprints totally dominated the supers in both acceleration and in the turns.

I have to add the next year when the same fastest sprint went to super modified weight it was just mid pack or a little better.

use ta go to sporty car racin and it was often said ya can't beat cubic inches

Maybe this is about ya can't beat hp to weight ratio?

I should state we aren’t getting beat by the heavy drivers im just looking for every advantage i can get 100% of the time. Very good point about A heavier driver having more grip thats one thing I didn’t take into account i guess I’ll just have to figure out our limits by reaching them until we loose speed. I like doing things differently and seeing what works and what doesn’t. Part of the fun!
Remember more grip is not always a good thing.

This is and has been a fun discussion for me.
Thanks for putting up with my BS which ain't necessairly right

Looking for advantage, look no further than tires.

Back