Gearing question

Zman5555

Hi . I am new to this forum & like what I see . I race an oval dirt 1/ 10 mile track banked with a Briggs gold plate . Kart set with 13/65 gearing & pulling 6400 rpm. Any other gearing that might just give me that little extra ?? Thanks

Hi . I am new to this forum & like what I see . I race an oval dirt 1/ 10 mile track banked with a Briggs gold plate . Kart set with 13/65 gearing & pulling 6400 rpm. Any other gearing that might just give me that little extra ?? Thanks

You say Briggs Gold plate that could be a Flathead or an Animal, I see your in NY so I assume Flathead

If you want a little more RPM put a 66 sprocket on. Or use a 12 driver with a 61 sprocket (+200 RPM)

Each added tooth on the rear sprocket increases RPM about 200.

6400 already sounds like a health RPM range, I wouldn't go much higher

If you want a little more RPM put a 66 sprocket on. Or use a 12 driver with a 61 sprocket (+200 RPM)

Each added tooth on the rear sprocket increases RPM about 200.

6400 already sounds like a health RPM range, I wouldn't go much higher

Agreed !! for a tenth mile I'd be dropping front to a 12 and since I would want little more than 6400 RPM I would put a 62 on rear and test it, If my RPM"S were not up to 6500 I would be looking at adjustments to free up the chassis some, also be looking at my tires making sure I have enough Bite in them.

Good Luck !!

6400 / 13/65 / = 41.21 mph 34" tires
6500 / 13/66 / = 41.20 mph
adding one tooth to the axle means you need to increase the rpm by about 100 in that gear ratio range.
6615 / 12/62 / = 41.20 mph
6500 / 12/61 / = 41.20 mph
As the driver gets smaller, the rpm difference increases/decreases with a one tooth change in the rear sprocket. As the driver gets bigger, just the opposite.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Already tried the 66 on rear so I will give the 12/61 a try . Thanks for your input guys . Let u know how I make out . Race on Sunday .

One more question - my new cheetah clutch engages at about 4200 rpm . Would it be beneficial to me if I lower the engagement to maybe 3500rpm ? What would this exactly do to my acceleration & other things ?

Already tried the 66 on rear so I will give the 12/61 a try . Thanks for your input guys . Let u know how I make out . Race on Sunday .
noticed that, in that gear ratio range, one tooth on the engine is worth five teeth on the axle. So a 13/66 is the same as 12/61.

People here have argued for months over big driver little driver, and many say, run the bigger driver. Even with the exact same ratio many think the bigger driver is faster.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

Back