Gearing

jaymancds

Another thread got me wondering, Is it better to be over-geared or under-geared?

Hypothetical situation, the track is calling for a 15/63. You messed up your 63 in the heat race. You have a 62 and a 64. Which are you choosing and why?

NO OTHER VARIABLES INVOLVED!!!

to me I would base it off how kart is handling that particular day and how the track is that particular day. Do I think I got a good enough kart/track to run it in deep down the chute with the higher gear or would i sooner get the jump off the turn and try my hand at holding them off down the chute with the deeper gear set.

If you think the track will be slower next time out put the 64 on.
If you think the track will be faster next time out put the 62 on.

If you don't think it will change then put the 62 on if there are obvious driving issues you might correct next time out.
If you think all will remain the same, fix the reason your screwed up the 63 and put the 64 on.

Why? It will probably be better for you racing to have the 64 on forcing others to do their passing at the end of the straight.
The 64 might also help your racing by maybe making it possible to get under others in the turns screwing up their momentum, also helping to fend them off at the end of the straight.
If the 63 was the perfect gear the 64 may help you run a lower shorter line.

just imho ???????????????

I think I'd run the 62. For me it depends on how many lanes are there. If I can run a half lane, or full lane higher, and run wide sweeping entry and exit lines, then 62. If its tight one lane at the bottom I'm running 64.

I assume your asking to learn something SO you need to give more details, it's a loaded question without more details anyway, first being which motor, then track size and how much momentum track makes, short chutes or longer, on an average night where on track are you usually better at making speed, in the turns or straight's. I'd also take into consideration my starting position and how many cautions I expected.

I assume your asking to learn something SO you need to give more details, it's a loaded question without more details anyway, first being which motor,

yep i'm also thinking there may be no reason to even try the 62 if he's already out of motor. maybe??????

Personally i would run the 64... But i always have 2 of each gear in my track box just in case something like this happens...

I think the end result will be if you put the 62 on that it was either a toad or your rpm's kept the same and you went faster.
I think most likely if the 63 was right to begin with, meaning with the 63 you already were getting all you could from your motor, that it will be a toad with the 62.

Another thread got me wondering, Is it better to be over-geared or under-geared?

Hypothetical situation, the track is calling for a 15/63. You messed up your 63 in the heat race. You have a 62 and a 64. Which are you choosing and why?

NO OTHER VARIABLES INVOLVED!!!
I think I'd run the 62. For me it depends on how many lanes are there. If I can run a half lane, or full lane higher, and run wide sweeping entry and exit lines, then 62. If its tight one lane at the bottom I'm running 64.
Funny now we have variables involved .
Me no questions or variables ; im going 62 .

I assume your asking to learn something SO you need to give more details, it's a loaded question without more details anyway, first being which motor, then track size and how much momentum track makes, short chutes or longer, on an average night where on track are you usually better at making speed, in the turns or straight's. I'd also take into consideration my starting position and how many cautions I expected.
Believe it or not, I'm not necessarily trying to learn something other than seeing how folks make their decisions. Lets say its Sr. Clone, 1/8th mile, equal proportions of straights and corners, track has roughly 1.5 lanes through the corners. Making speed being your decision with your gear choice.

**personally I think my best area of the track is corner entry, but I'm working to learn how to max out my entry without hurting the exit. Not quite there yet though**

Funny now we have variables involved .
Me no questions or variables ; im going 62 .
I realized it was basically impossible. I suppose I shouldve said limited variables. I didnt want to chase the rabbit through the wormhole of tires, tire pressures... air density :ROFLMAO: etc.

I almost always gear tall, theory being that if it stays green, I can make use of extra speed, but I can't make use of being maxed out 90% down the straight. It forces patience and smoothness, and is a good training technique, even when you have the 63 still available... Keep taking teeth off until your speed suffers... Then try to stay clear of momentum killers... IT's helpful if the class isn't a bunch of yahoos. In that case, I'll gear with the 64 for the inevitable restarts and corner contact.

Me personally, IF the 63 was the right gear, id stay with the 63, buy 1 at track or beg and borrow, whatever i needed to do to get the same gear, IF it was the right gear.
With that being said, id have 2 pair of gears with me so this wouldnt happen.

Back