Gearing

Adamsjoel

I'm running rookie with a .375 restructor. We ran our first race and had a great time. My question is about my gearing. As it sits 17 teeth on drive and 64 on the axle. It was slow of the start and wondering what to change? Do I go up in rear and down in front. And to what degree? Any help would appreciate. My son and I are new to Karting and learning.

Thanks Joel

Yes that's the correct thinking . For that situation .
It may be as simple as more driving experience .
More air pressure in the tires .
That change will limit your top speed , or reduce your top speed .

You need to get it on the correct gearing, .375 what color plate ? How big is the track ? what made you start with the 17/64 ? In this case if it is the correct ratio you would lower the front driver size.

You might be on the right track in questioning your gearing but it could also be other things. We didn't get a lot of insight into how your kart was cornering, or what gear everyone else is running, First I would find out the gears others in your class is running. You might find your answer right there. If you find out you were in the right ballpark with your 17-64 then you need to see what's slowing you down in the corners. No gear ratio will compensate for slow corner speeds. Good luck, it may be simple as a gear swap.

One tooth on the engine is worth 4 teeth on the axle. If not exactly, pretty close.

Slow on the starts Could also mean your clutch is not slipping and holding the engine at peak torque, On the starts.

I'm assuming you have no tachometer. Clutch settings and gearing correctly, a whole lot easier with the tachometer.

Tell us what track your at!

Attachments

• 12_53 6 22 2020.jpg
    12_53 6 22 2020.jpg
    590.6 KB · Views: 38
You need to get it on the correct gearing, .375 what color plate ? How big is the track ? what made you start with the 17/64 ? In this case if it is the correct ratio you would lower the front driver size.
It's a red plate I started with at gearing because that's what it came with

You might be on the right track in questioning your gearing but it could also be other things. We didn't get a lot of insight into how your kart was cornering, or what gear everyone else is running, First I would find out the gears others in your class is running. You might find your answer right there. If you find out you were in the right ballpark with your 17-64 then you need to see what's slowing you down in the corners. No gear ratio will compensate for slow corner speeds. Good luck, it may be simple as a gear swap.
Not sure what everyone else is running. The cornering got better with tire pressure but still seems slow

Back