Gearing

Madixj

So, I have a predator 212 swapped baja doodlebug and want to re-gear it. Right now, it has the stock gearing, which is 12 tooth clutch to 70 tooth rear (almost 6 to 1 ratio) with 14 inch back wheel. I want to change to a 58 rear(almost 5 to 1 ratio) but I'm worried about the torque loss. Will I still be able go up and down hills no problem, or will it struggle?

Most of the people in here are racing kart enthusiasts, not sure you will get an answer. On Facebook there is a good predator 212 group that I have seen this topic in before but cannot remember the answer.

with a 2 gear set up you can gear it for acceleration or top speed but you will need to decide which one . You will need a torque converter to achieve both

The good news is it will handle it but you will lose some low end torque and gain about 6mph in speed. It will work because you are only turning the one wheel on the mini-bike versus a live axle on the go kart. Have some speed going up the hill versus trying it from a dead stop. Get to the top of the hill and feel the clutch drum and if it is too hot to touch then you best rethink the gear change.

The good news is it will handle it but you will lose some low end torque and gain about 6mph in speed. It will work because you are only turning the one wheel on the mini-bike versus a live axle on the go kart. Have some speed going up the hill versus trying it from a dead stop. Get to the top of the hill and feel the clutch drum and if it is too hot to touch then you best rethink the gear change.
I'll definitely watch the clutch temp when I get the new gearing. Right now, with the stock gearing, you could start from a dead stop in the middle of a hill, and still reach top speed by the top! I know I won't have that kind of torture after the gear change, but I'm hoping it could still handle hills ok. Where I live, it's actually pretty flat and there's only 1 big hill I have to get up every now and again so I think the new gearing should be fine for the most part.

Most of the mini bikers I have seen that post problems are running the cheapest clutch they could find. Be aware this could quickly be your next problem when running a taller gear.

Most of the mini bikers I have seen that post problems are running the cheapest clutch they could find. Be aware this could quickly be your next problem when running a taller gear.
That's me 😂 I'm running the mini with the cheapest clutch I could find. Have had some problems, but nothing serious so far

Back