gearing

6fochevy

I am new to karting and only have ran a few times. I run a clone with a 14 tooth driver and had a 66 rear gear on. I had plenty of take off but no top end. Not sure what rpms I was running. The track is a 1/5th mile. Should I go to a 68 or 70 or go down?

Going smaller on the axle, (i.e. 65) might give you more top end, but what you would need to know is the rpm of the engine to know for sure. Having a gauge is really important.

From the desk of Al Nunley
Comments compliments criticisms and questions always welcome.
If the data does not support the theory, get a new theory. (Al Nunley)

I've got one but just not working.
then you don't really have one! Send it in, get it fixed!

I am new to karting and only have ran a few times. I run a clone with a 14 tooth driver and had a 66 rear gear on. I had plenty of take off but no top end. Not sure what rpms I was running. The track is a 1/5th mile. Should I go to a 68 or 70 or go down?

If indeed it's a fifth mile track That's 1056 ft or 352 full stride steps and it's a momentum track not one grooved, get it on a 17-64 if track has little bite and no room to pass go 16-61, reason it takes off and dies is with a 14-66 on a 1/5th mile if you had a working tack your turning it WAY to many RPM's.

Don't let yourself get confused by any comments coming by the paper pushing Ratio is Ratio guy's, make you think any different if your information is correct what I just gave you will work if you only have a 14 driver Go buy atleast a 16, If buying a 16 driver is totally out of the question PM me what clutch ya got and I'll send ya one.

To get that 14 driver close you would be on a 14-54,55

Good Luck !!

RP....I'am a little confused here ? what is a "Paper Pushing Ratio" see I have a gearing problems also on a clone.......Could we adjust the paper pushing ratio, how and where do I find it ??? Thanks in advance .....................

RP....I'am a little confused here ? what is a "Paper Pushing Ratio" see I have a gearing problems also on a clone.......Could we adjust the paper pushing ratio, how and where do I find it ??? Thanks in advance .....................

My comment was meant for mostly Al but all the Ratio is Ratio guy's that REFUSE to accept anything someone with experience on a certain gearing combo for a certain size track, in this guy's case a Fifth mile track on a clone we attend quite a bit and I know first hand what we run and others that are real competitive as well, Basically I expected a lot of response disputing what I told him, I knew my info I gave him was Solid.

Describe your problem should be able to HELP ya out.

yes it does on our clones. The whole clone lite class runs those gears. Some night we go up to 66 or 67

I run 16-60 was turning 6650 rpm's too much, 17-63 turn around 6300 rpm, this week I want to try 16-59 or 17-64 maybe. don't want to past 6450 / 6550 rpm's
what you think RP...............................about the paper pushing ratio i was only kidding around a little .........:cool:

I run 16-60 was turning 6650 rpm's too much, 17-63 turn around 6300 rpm, this week I want to try 16-59 or 17-64 maybe. don't want to past 6450 / 6550 rpm's
what you think RP...............................about the paper pushing ratio i was only kidding around a little .........:cool:

What size track ? how well does it bite up ? What Tires are you on ?

RP Think 1/5 ml a little (1/2 good)bite and maxxis 9" rights......

I would try the 17-64 first should put ya right there, Then I would add little more Bite to those Maxxis free the kart up a tad, and you should be able to pull off a 17-62 and get it right in that window, but your not out to lunch on the 16-59.

Good Luck !! Let us know your results

Thanks RP ....Like your straight out answers .....don't have to go to college to understand what you is saying .....unlike some other answers I get on here .....

Assuming 34" tires
16-60 @ 6650rpm = 57.10mph
17-63 @ 6300rpm = 54.67mph
16-59 @ 6550rpm = 57.15mph
17-64 @ 6450rpm = 55.23mph

Back