gearing?

bandaidmd

Some people say there is a difference in how the kart reacts to different driver/rear sprocket combos even thou the overall gear ratio may only be less than a 10th different on the chart. Is there any easy explanation why this would be, seems if the track/motor needs a 4.00 ratio it shouldnt matter the driver/sprocket combo that gets you there?

If you go to a 1/4 mile no lift track and run a 14-56(4.0) see how far you go before you are maxed out on rpms,Then try a 16 -64(4.0) and see how much further it goes before maxing out on rpms....I've tried this at gkk(1/4mi.) yrs ago when it was still a weekly event track, running a 14-56, the kart was maxed out on rpm before i got to the flag stand...

Wait, what ?
Something else changed between you swapping one 4:1 ratio for another 4:1 ratio.

Don't buy too much, I'm not going there.
I think I know why some people think that one is better than the other, but I still think they are not seeing something else, like tooth wear, or sprocket quality.

I'm out of here........

Don't buy too much, I'm not going there.
I think I know why some people think that one is better than the other, but I still think they are not seeing something else, like tooth wear, or sprocket quality.

I'm out of here........

Until you race dirt oval you'll never understand

I have.......
Bikes, on 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 mile tracks.

Bikes are not low powered karts.
Until you run karts on dirt oval, you'll never understand, and from your answer it looks like you don't want to either, which is fine by me we are entitled to our opinions

If you go to a 1/4 mile no lift track and run a 14-56(4.0) see how far you go before you are maxed out on rpms,Then try a 16 -64(4.0) and see how much further it goes before maxing out on rpms....I've tried this at gkk(1/4mi.) yrs ago when it was still a weekly event track, running a 14-56, the kart was maxed out on rpm before i got to the flag stand...

!6 - 64 on a quarter mile momentum track I hope it was a Sr Champ

Some people say there is a difference in how the kart reacts to different driver/rear sprocket combos even thou the overall gear ratio may only be less than a 10th different on the chart. Is there any easy explanation why this would be, seems if the track/motor needs a 4.00 ratio it shouldnt matter the driver/sprocket combo that gets you there?

Best gearing will max out at proper places on the track taking advantage of max momentum which creates better lap times , where same ratio will not, and the more your off on front driver size the more it shows up, like the example of the 16 driver VS the 14 the 14 driver ratio broke momentum on the straight and again in the turn and even with that example unless the track made NO grip what so ever a 17 driver would of been even better.
Bottom line every dirt track Karting track has a BEST gearing combo for EVERY class not a BEST ratio.
EASY way to figure BEST combo out on 90% of bigger momentum tracks especially with good grip is which ever front driver size matches a 66,67 rear gear, now keep in mind you will NEVER figure out BEST gearing combo on a poorly set-up kart or if on wrong tires or prep, then even if you hit all that you need to make sure what you though to be BEST you were not somewhat gear bound.
Now bottom line being fastest out there Ain't easy !

I know running the MX engines in either 3rd, 4th or 5th all ending with the same final ratio is a big difference...
3rd ok on a bullring, 4th ok on 1/8 track, 5th anything bigger than a 1/8th...

Say on a regular 1/8th mile track... In 3rd you would either fry the tires off and run out to 13,000rpm before half way, same final ratio but in 4th you could almost nail the gas and still rev out to 13,000, same final ratio in 5th could nail the gas still rev out to 13,000,drive her in deep and hope she sticks... turn left repeat...

My son is new to racing karts, this is our first year on a 1/10 high banked clay oval, he's running a 196cc clone motor with a red restrictor plate, burris 34 in tires weighs in at 263, we are trying to figure the spring set up for the fury clutch for best performance, and the best gears to run on that track, last week we ran 14 - 69 set up with black and white springs on the clutch, and had 4895 rpms was the highest for the race, looking for any advice to get more speed, Thank you for any help

My son is new to racing karts, this is our first year on a 1/10 high banked clay oval, he's running a 196cc clone motor with a red restrictor plate, burris 34 in tires weighs in at 263, we are trying to figure the spring set up for the fury clutch for best performance, and the best gears to run on that track, last week we ran 14 - 69 set up with black and white springs on the clutch, and had 4895 rpms was the highest for the race, looking for any advice to get more speed, Thank you for any help

Check your other post and answer questions !

Back