Gears

Packman88

Just a quick question is there a difference in how quick you pick up rpm based on your front and rear teeth ?

Example a 15/61 and a 16/65 give you the same ratio, but does one pick up quicker then the other? This maybe a silly question but thought I would ask

Just a quick question is there a difference in how quick you pick up rpm based on your front and rear teeth ?

Example a 15/61 and a 16/65 give you the same ratio, but does one pick up quicker then the other? This maybe a silly question but thought I would ask
It would be the same, yes. I imagine 15/61 might be minutely faster because of the lower weight in the smaller rear sprocket, but that's splitting hairs.

I just ran a race the other day where the guys swore up and down about not being competitive without an 18 driver...
Finished Top 3 in each heat and Top 5 out of ~30 karts with 16 driver and the same ratio.

I think there's enough torque down low on the predator motors to make this a non issue.

Because of the base circle, illustrated, as the tooth count goes up, the base circle grows less and less. So if you calculate your gear ratios using base circle numbers, you come out with ever so slightly different ratios than if you're using the tooth count. I got these base circle numbers off the web and I'm not positive they're all correct, I think maybe one or two of the numbers may be off slightly. It makes very very little difference from the tooth count, but it's there. Actually 16/65 is ever so slightly a lower ratio than 15/61 even though they're both identical tooth count ratios.
base circle 15_61.jpg

Back