General Dirt Karting Questions

beg100

New to Forum and New to Karting. I am looking into getting a sunday afternoon backyard "beer" karting league amongst friends. I found these kit karts and think it would make a good platform paired with a stage 2 predator/tillotson engine. The kit comes with the single lug style axle/wheels which I would plan to change to the typical kart axel/wheel and hope to buy used kart pulloff wheels/tires. What is the most common axel/wheel setup for dirt karting? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!!

Not sure what the kit kart is but race karts these days use an 1
- 1/4 rear axle and hubs. Older karts used 1 inch stuff on the rear. Front spindles are 5/8 diameter and a lot use a stepped RF spindle that is stepped. 3/4 inner bearing and 5/8 outer bearing. Road race type karts use metric sizes stuff. Buy hubs to fit these sizes and make sure your kit isnt metric.

Thinking of using the go powersports vintage kart kit, using tilly stage 2 motors, and using 1 -1/4" axles using all modern dirt karting components. Would I be better off going down this route or buying old dirt karting frames?

I agree.....buy a regular dirt kart. Since it's a backyard thing you're wanting to do you don't have to be too picky as to what you get. Good luck.

Buy a good used dirt kart ,we have guys that tried that crap and we lap them every three or four laps ,I run a 1999 kart and run top three every week .paid 600

New to Forum and New to Karting. I am looking into getting a sunday afternoon backyard "beer" karting league amongst friends. I found these kit karts and think it would make a good platform paired with a stage 2 predator/tillotson engine. The kit comes with the single lug style axle/wheels which I would plan to change to the typical kart axel/wheel and hope to buy used kart pulloff wheels/tires. What is the most common axel/wheel setup for dirt karting? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!!
DO IT !
YOU'LL HAVE A TON OF FUN and as you progress in driving and understanding you can do things to upgrade and kick butt !

DO IT !

Change of plans and now thinking of just buying used racing karts and using predator engines. It'll be all grown adults (most overweight) should we be specific in getting all big tube chassis?

Change of plans and now thinking of just buying used racing karts and using predator engines. It'll be all grown adults (most overweight) should we be specific in getting all big tube chassis?
If you're all going to be racing in same class getting competitive with it, then yes.
If just racing for fun, then no just go with what makes most sense budget wise.

Oh, and it may be advantageous to make the seats all the largest size you need, then just draw out of a hat for who gets what kart....that way any disparity of engines or chassis balances out, and nobody gets blamed for outspending or out-engineering the others. if it's truly just for fun.

Last edited:
Put rental kart tires on there....they'll never wear out on dirt if you leave 'em alone.
Ted, rental kart tires will make a dirt kart undrivable. Added to that he won't even find the sizes he m8ght need, and most rental tires are for 5" wheels. Thecdrawing thing doesn't even work between friends. I have been there donevthat with my Blue Rental class when clones were a novelty and spent a lot of money, but eventually everyone wants to be competitive and nobody acceptsvrunning spec tires with no prep.

Back