General help

My son is new at racing, have 6 or 7 under his belt. He's been amazing, hasn't won, but steadily improving, gaining spots and running in the top. I'm new to all of this myself. I've been learning as I go, I one or two people I can go to with questions, but people are busy or have their own karting program. Haven't really found anyone to take us "under their wing". We've raced at two tracks so far. We are preparing to race Penton for several races. We've visited and like the track. My son is 14 and going to run a clone, I read that it's a blue plate he'll run.

Anyone have tips, pointers for this track?
What tires? I see the 26th is open tires.
Gear suggestions?
Also looking for a easy tire prep program.
Anything will help.

Thanks

Last edited:
"Easy"? I don't remember any of it being real easy! lol.
Some things I found real helpful in my 50+ years of experience.
Compression gauge. (The Holy Grail)
Air density gauge. (Know the air you're racing in)
Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge. (EGT)
Tachometer. (Know where your clutche is engaging)
Tire durometer gauge.
Stopwatch. (Best way I know of to determine if what you did was the right, or wrong, thing to do)
Lots of axle sprockets.

The easiest tire prep program you'll find is the one you pick andstick with it and learn.

Seat time no matter the track will always be beneficial to him. Just make sure he stays focused and can be consistent. Consistency is key in oval racing. You could have all the motor in the world to pull on everyone but if you aren't smooth you'll be passed by someone who is. Biggest thing for me going to a new track with different racers is to be the cleanest driver you can on the track. Another thing on the prep, trust me you'll be chasing your tail having multiple brands of preps in your arsenal. Pick a program and stick with it. Find out what other people in the area are using and talking with whoever's program you choose is always the best. And think about how far into the tire game you're willing to go. It takes alot of track days to get down the right prep for different conditions.

CARRY A NOTEBOOK!!!
I can't stress that enough. Keep track of setup changes, air pressure, the temp outside, how the track is, is it hard or soft, wet or dry. That notebook will be your best friend and you can look back on any given day and know what you did and what works and what doesn't.

^^^^^ pretty spot on. We know penton well but I don’t know blue plate. It is a high banked momentum track. We run red and green which red has a gear rule and green has driver rule so that won’t help. They have 3-4 races on new dirt and the track isn’t super wet low bite anymore. I’d say hard and medium- low grip. I know that’s broad but you know it’s hard to put in words. Vegas used to rule and we won’t know what maxxis do until the 26th. We’ll be there if I can help. Silver 3 and 15. Good luck!

^^^^^ pretty spot on. We know penton well but I don’t know blue plate. It is a high banked momentum track. We run red and green which red has a gear rule and green has driver rule so that won’t help. They have 3-4 races on new dirt and the track isn’t super wet low bite anymore. I’d say hard and medium- low grip. I know that’s broad but you know it’s hard to put in words. Vegas used to rule and we won’t know what maxxis do until the 26th. We’ll be there if I can help. Silver 3 and 15. Good luck!
Eventhough there is a driver rule for green plate what is it ? And what rear do you use ? Would you use different gearing if allowed and what would that be ?
Does that hit your target rpm close ?
And what rpm are you getting ?

16/63 red and 16 driver in green. Run anywhere from 57-60 rear depending on track and tires. As far as rpm I stay around 5200 I’ve tried for more but we ran out of gear before the end of the straights. We were a rocket through the corner but no pull so the rpm was a waste. Don’t know what I’d try if not on a rule. Haven’t had to experiment with that yet lol probably get on an 18-17 driver and start experimenting

16/63 red and 16 driver in green. Run anywhere from 57-60 rear depending on track and tires. As far as rpm I stay around 5200 I’ve tried for more but we ran out of gear before the end of the straights. We were a rocket through the corner but no pull so the rpm was a waste. Don’t know what I’d try if not on a rule. Haven’t had to experiment with that yet lol probably get on an 18-17 driver and start experimenting
Would you by chance know gearing for Sr Clone ? Is this the track in Lafayette Alabama ?

Yes it is and we used to hear 16/62 to 17/64 so to each his own. Like I said track has changed since then an we have not ran there enough to find a great combo. Decent setup yes but I think there’s more bite now. Plus we are on new karts so there’s another factor in our setup game.

Original poster in case you get no more solid info and are clueless where to start gearing, based on the info above and video I'd start on a 17 /64 and go from there, I'd have a 16 driver close by and an 18.
Lurker if the Sr Clone gearing you show is correct and you would be allowed to choose your green plate gearing it should be an 18 driver.

My son is new at racing, have 6 or 7 under his belt. He's been amazing, hasn't won, but steadily improving, gaining spots and running in the top. I'm new to all of this myself. I've been learning as I go, I one or two people I can go to with questions, but people are busy or have their own karting program. Haven't really found anyone to take us "under their wing". We've raced at two tracks so far. We are preparing to race Penton for several races. We've visited and like the track. My son is 14 and going to run a clone, I read that it's a blue plate he'll run.

Anyone have tips, pointers for this track?
What tires? I see the 26th is open tires.
Gear suggestions?
Also looking for a easy tire prep program.
Anything will help.

Thanks

We can help with a simple (but effective) tire program.
2 internals, 2 externals - pretty easy to learn - comes with instructions and phone support.
Give us a call if we can be of any assistance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

We can help with a simple (but effective) tire program.
2 internals, 2 externals - pretty easy to learn - comes with instructions and phone support.
Give us a call if we can be of any assistance.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
30 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
I’ll second this... I’m not a chemist nor care to know why Brian’s preps work so well, I just know they do work!

Back