General Weight Help

jc57

I am new to karting and wanting some help on understanding what adding or subtracting weight from each corner does to a kart. For example if i move the LR out from the chassis it takes weight away from the LR. what does having less LR do to the chassis? what does having more LR do to the chassis. I am looking for the same information on all 4 corners if you can help that would be great! again this is just for my general understanding of what adding or subtracting weight to the LF RF LF and LR does to the chassis.

Thanks

There are 2 or 3 good books out there, read them all, they'll give you a fair idea of what you're seeking. And you thought this was going to be easy!

First it will do nothing too the chassis .
It will change the weight at each corner .
It will change the timing of the loading and unloading of the tires.
Primarily the left rear in my understanding .
Jacking weight at the front is a lever effect along with caster and camber .
The lever lengths in relation to the cg . This is where the books come into play .
Tire patch size and shapes maybe , though I think there more air pressure dependent .

Simply put once you have your % ages set adding weight to any corner would screw up the balance of the set up, you don't move wheel spacings to change corner weight's you set wheel spacings & leave them alone, scale out % ages after you set wheel spacings.

I am new to karting and wanting some help on understanding what adding or subtracting weight from each corner does to a kart. For example if i move the LR out from the chassis it takes weight away from the LR. what does having less LR do to the chassis? what does having more LR do to the chassis. I am looking for the same information on all 4 corners if you can help that would be great! again this is just for my general understanding of what adding or subtracting weight to the LF RF LF and LR does to the chassis.

Thanks
Does this help? 3 views, same kart, present set up #1, add to cross #2, subtract from left #3.
You can see how the percentages and the weights change at each corner.
thee views_1.jpgthee views_2.jpgthee views_3.jpg

Last edited:
Don't even start until you have access to a set of scales and know what
the baseline is for your Kart and can set the % to what the manufacturer says.

I was just thinking, maybe the spreadsheet is a little overwhelming. but really, you only have to put in 4 pieces of information. Kart and driver weight, the front percentage you want, the left side percentage you want and the cross percentages you want. 4 pieces of information.
Or
the weight of the 4 corners, nothing else. Press Ctrl-M and everything is filled out for you. Change any one of the percentages in the top row and the whole spreadsheet re-calculates. You could play "what if" all day.

Simply put once you have your % ages set adding weight to any corner would screw up the balance of the set up, you don't move wheel spacings to change corner weight's you set wheel spacings & leave them alone, scale out % ages after you set wheel spacings.
Thanks! I guess what I'm asking is when I'm at the track if I want to loosen the car. What do I want to do weight wise, take weight away from LR or add LR. Doing so by moving tire in or out?

Take cross out, move some left side weight over, change tires. First would be to figure out where in the corner your push is.
I never move the LR hub because I run such a short axle that its almost to the snap ring as it is.

Back