getting a burris 33 ready for raceday

No switch tires every time out, flat cuts. Not for sure on everyone's prep but one of the top guys in this area did recommend it
Couple more questions , How do race tires compare to qualifying tires ? Reason track is low bite is because, stays moist ( wet slick ), goes dry ( dry slick ), if dry slick on a scale of 1 to 10 how hard does track get ? Why flat cut if low bite ? that could be problem right there, once Brian sees this let's see what he has to say maybe he knows the track as well.

Qualify tire are thick punch around 42,feature tires are thick they where at 45 seemed to be ok in feature. track does have some bite in groove, it gets sealed over and dry sandy with a prep groove,6 on hardness, I acally grind sealer off my new tires and run them

Qualify tire are thick punch around 42,feature tires are thick they where at 45 seemed to be ok in feature. track does have some bite in groove, it gets sealed over and dry sandy with a prep groove,6 on hardness, I acally grind sealer off my new tires and run them

I'll let Brian take it from here with all the new details, I have some ideas but he's gonna know best to help ya out.

I'll have to measure when I get to the house, I do know the but of the seat is up off the floor pan 1-1 1/2 inches should the bottom be mounted down real close to pan?

IMO that is too soft, we led some both days in jr.2 at the thanksgiving race and ended up second on Saturday, The softest we got was around 49,50 and we ran Semi round cuts, No prepping during the week and ran the same tires until they feathered, tires were faster after being ran for us! If you need any help I will be at the New Years race helping customers! IMO that track isn't wet enough for goat either!
Nick Welch
Wicked Cuts

Last edited:
I would say Brian was at King of Concrete race and has yet to see this once he does I'm sure he will chime in, Earl or other tire guy's if you've read this please chime in as well.

Ok, I'm back in the shop this week...
Not sure what exactly to answer here...BUT

lowbudget, you are running on a low bite organic dirt track and needing more bite, correct? Why in the world are you using flat cut Burris? If you need more sidebite, then get on a set of round cuts and your prep and chassis program may be just fine. Flat cuts free the kart up.
There may be nothing wrong with your kart set-up. I don't think raising left side % is the right direction when you're asking for more bite. Same deal as for seat height...it might be higher than I run our jr3 seat, BUT, you are wanting more side bite, and having the seat (CoG) higher will help nail the right sides in the corners.
Another thing to consider is that your preps may not be compatible. You said you're wiping every day with a medium bite during the week, then hitting the tires with goat as a PRW. There are a few preps that I am aware of that don't like goat or krug over them. Are the tires staying wet and/or slimy after wiping goat, or are you having to burn the goat in to get the tire to tack up? That would be a tell-tale sign to me.
Lowering your air psi and reducing split can be a band-aid fix for tire spring rates if that's the only set you've got in your arsenal.
Honestly, I think if you get on a good set of round cuts, it'll make a huge difference for you.

-----
Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
27 years of service to the karting industry
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian
I felt 98% of his problem is Tires, Prep and the manner in which he uses it, That's why I said you would know best I'm no tire guy so wanted you to take over where you left off after I had him post more details.
That seat height will be correct once he get's on a good set of sneakers like yours.

I'm gonna have local guy round cut a couple sets and give that a try.
And accualy yes the tires didn't seem to take the prep like I thought they should.
I have been told that it is not need to wipe burris though out the week, is this true?
And thanks for taking time to help

I'm gonna have local guy round cut a couple sets and give that a try.
And accualy yes the tires didn't seem to take the prep like I thought they should.
I have been told that it is not need to wipe burris though out the week, is this true?
And thanks for taking time to help

That is not true that in general you do not need to wipe burris through the week, for most tracks you do but ya gotta wipe with the right prep.

Back