Getting back into it

Commdiver77

I have been out of Karting for about 20-25 years. I am looking to get back into it with my son's racing as well. I see all this stuff about clone motors and predator motors..??? I have not read into the new rules yet, I am sure a lot has changed. My question is are the clone motors close to the same as the "stock" motors we ran way back when? And the predator motors like the "unlimited" motors that we ran with the fuel pumps etc..?? Thanks

Clone is the "stock" class, but far from stock.
Predator depends where you race, it's supposed to be the budget class.
Here predator is out of the box, governor in tact and functional, max rpm rule, and must remain stock.
Clones aka clone of Honda uses a full pump/remote tank

Yes : Along with what XXX40 said.
The clone is a Blueprinted sanctioned class pretty much nation wide.
Much like a stock ( blueprinted flathead.)

Welcome back. Go to the track, walk through the pits, ask a lot of questions. You will find most racers and kart mechanics will be happy to answers your questions and get you on the right path.

Local track I'm looking at running runs Burris 33... Any insight???
You'll have to learn what's best You'll have MANY options that could be fastest depending on track condition, could be new uncut thick rubber, could be round cut, could be semi round ( Summit Cut ), could be flat cut, then what to wipe with outside and process, could require Internal as well, Burris 33 are very chemical sensitive.
What Track is it ? You might get better info !!

Beaver Creek in Toney, Alabama near Madison. Fro what I read on there website that's the tire the make you run. They also have a Burris tire southeast series I might get into once we get a handle on the kart. We ran SOX karts out of Columbia, SC. Also had a trick, loved the SOX it ran well at all types of different tracks. Any thoughts on frames from your perspective?

Beaver Creek in Toney, Alabama near Madison. Fro what I read on there website that's the tire the make you run. They also have a Burris tire southeast series I might get into once we get a handle on the kart. We ran SOX karts out of Columbia, SC. Also had a trick, loved the SOX it ran well at all types of different tracks. Any thoughts on frames from your perspective?
All the top brands will Go I'd look for what you can get good support with in your area, Do your HOMEWORK if buying used.

I race there. Predator at this track is box stock except you can remove the governor and use 10.8 lb valve springs. You have to use a 19 tooth front driver and a drum clutch. Most people use red prep just about every race. Different brands of red, but always red.

You are correct on the tire rule.

You will need a hemi predator. The non-hemi predators aren't competitive.

For the clone classes, you can use an AKRA or NKA clone. There are three weight classes: light is 325, medium is 350, heavy is 375. There is also a 35 and older class you could run that is 365 pounds.

I race there. Predator at this track is box stock except you can remove the governor and use 10.8 lb valve springs. You have to use a 19 tooth front driver and a drum clutch. Most people use red prep just about every race. Different brands of red, but always red.

You are correct on the tire rule.

You will need a hemi predator. The non-hemi predators aren't competitive.

For the clone classes, you can use an AKRA or NKA clone. There are three weight classes: light is 325, medium is 350, heavy is 375. There is also a 35 and older class you could run that is 365 pounds.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I plan on trying to come up one weekend and pick some brains. Everything has changed since I use to run.

Back