Getting hot, c clip adjustment?

Woody236

So we are starting to get hot in Texas, is it advised to adjust the c clip on the jet nozzle when it gets into the 90's?

Shouldn't be necessary. These engines are built very conservatively so that they typically don't run hot and damage things. You generally tune the carb for air density more than temperature (although air temp does affect the tune slightly.)
If the air density goes down with higher temps, then you would want to LEAN the carb mixture by raising the clip on the needle.
If the air density increases with higher temps, then you would RICHEN the carb mixture by lowering the clip on the needle.

Watch your local forecast and note how they discuss HIGH pressure and LOW pressure (barometric pressure) fronts.
Buying a quality air density gauge will help you tremendously. A simple analog (dial) Kinsler AD gauge works great and will help you with tuning tremendously.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Brian is spot on except for the spot where he typed raising the clip to richen. I am sure he meant lowing the clip to richen.
Brian is correct. If you raise the clip on the needle you are dropping the needle and leaning it out.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be necessary. These engines are built very conservatively so that they typically don't run hot and damage things. You generally tune the carb for air density more than temperature (although air temp does affect the tune slightly.)
If the air density goes down with higher temps, then you would want to LEAN the carb mixture by raising the clip on the needle.
If the air density increases with higher temps, then you would RICHEN the carb mixture by raising the clip on the needle.

Watch your local forecast and note how they discuss HIGH pressure and LOW pressure (barometric pressure) fronts.
Buying a quality air density gauge will help you tremendously. A simple analog (dial) Kinsler AD gauge works great and will help you with tuning tremendously.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
33 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com
Air density was what I was implying, sorry I wasn't more clear. So going from 60-70dgs to 90-100dgs with dry air is what I meant to ask. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
Brian is correct. If you raise the clip on the needle you are dropping the needle and leaning it out.
Yes that was correct. It was his next statement where he typed,
"If the air density increases with higher temps, then you would RICHEN the carb mixture by raising the clip on the needle."
that is not correct.

Woody236, Air density generally goes down as temp raises, so with less dense air you would lean the amount of fuel in order to keep the same fuel to air ratio that is feeding the motor.

^ -- fingers going faster than the brain (raise the clip = lower the needle = LEANER.) As if it isn't confusing enough to newbies, and I bonehead it like that. Thanks for pointing that out, Freeze.

Commencing opening can of worms:

What is your preferred method of carb tuning on the 206:
Needle Adjustment
Float Height adjustment

I have seen some tuners focus almost solely on float height and others almost strictly on needle height.

I generally work more with the needle. I find that adjusting the float, especially when richening, I can get the dreaded slosh over effect and get a missfire middle out. I typically set the float as rich as I can without getting the bog and the tune with the needle. If I need to be in p1 (top) and the plug still shows rich, then I will lower the float until the plug leans out and then begin tuning with the needle again. Not saying this is right, just what I have been doing.

Back