Getting kids started

Drew4321

Looking to get my sons into racing. They are 6 years old. Just trying to get ideas of what kind of direction to go with them, any advice would be great appreciated.

Most tracks ( at least in my area) have a rookie class typically for ages 5-8. They run clones with red restrictor plates. There are also rookie champ karts that either run stock predators or clone engines

Yes, you need to check out what is going on in your area before doing or buying anything. Post where you live so you can get local advice.
Good advice! All too often we see where people went out and bought a steaming pile of junk before they did their homework. You will save a lot of time and money by visiting the race tracks near you and asking a lot of questions.

Looking to get my sons into racing. They are 6 years old. Just trying to get ideas of what kind of direction to go with them, any advice would be great appreciated.
Seems to me is there’s 3 popular options. Oval, Sprint (Road Course), and Outlaw Oval. You didn’t mention your location which might dictate which direction you go.

Take the boys to Shellys one night and get pit passes. Spend the entire night. Talk to some parents in the classes that your boys would be getting started in. Give consideration to time needed to brief/debrief their driver and crew around their races. Consider champ karts vs flat karts. Pay close attention to the cars that are clean and consistently fast. You might be surprised that these folks would have their chassis/engine/etc. available for sale (if not currently - then by the end of the season.) This would provide you with a competitive package right from the start with good set-up and hopefully some future help trackside.
Of course there are always deals online, but purchasing something local and proven can shorten the learning curve considerably, as well as boost your drivers' confidence.

-----
🏁Thanks and God bless,
Brian Carlson
Carlson Racing Engines
Vector Cutz
www.CarlsonMotorsports.com
Carlson Motorsports on Facebook
32 years of service to the karting industry ~ 1Cor 9:24
Linden, IN
765-339-4407
bcarlson@CarlsonMotorsports.com

Back